Continuous problems W/SX1280-now protection keeps blowing

biggal76

I thought that after more than 2 years, I finally had my SX1280 working. A couple years ago after a full recap, I shorted the power supply against the protection board while trying to diagnose a hum and blew those boards plus tuner board. I took it to a tech who got it running....sort of. Still wasn't right. Another tech wouldn't touch it. I finally swapped out the tuner board and all but one diode (stupid situation why one didn't get replaced but now I don't know which one it was) on power supply board and thought it was good, double checked idle current and DC balance. Hooked it up to my AR3a's (4 ohm speakers). Left channel was tripping protector circuit a little past 10 Watts on meter. Right channel worked properly when balance turned to right. I did that a few times and now it keeps tripping even with volume all the way down and balance turned to right. Does this sound like a power supply board problem or a protector board problem or something else? If not sure, what is most likely and I'll just swap that one out and try it. After going through what I've already gone through, I found it is easier to buy another board on Ebay and swap it than try to diagnose and repair a board.
Thanks

before you buy pcbs you have to isolate which one it is. figure out what is causing the protection to trip or if is a supply or protection circuit issue.
check the DC offsets, and supply voltages against the schematics.

Found a loose transistor on PS board and resoldered. Seems to work now but haven't tried 4 ohm speakers with it yet.

Back
Top Bottom