Convert organ tube amp into a stero amp......

Compman55

Plain and simple, would there be much hope for stripping the amp parts out of an old hammond organ and converting it for use as a stero amp? Would it even be worth it?

Sure. Organ amps can often serve as great stereo amps after proper restoration and updates. Jim Nicholls (JWN), Will Vincent, and others occasionally rebuild organ amps for hi-fi use.

I've seen quite a few Organ amps end up as guitar amplifiers.
VERY easy to do, since we're talking about mono amps.
A lot more difficult though ,to turn a mono Organ amp into a stereo amplifier.
The biggest problem would be, that the original power transformer would NOT have the additional current handling capability, for the addition output required for stereo operation?
Oh, it can be done....but NOT without significant additional expenses.

Steve

Not all output transformers on organ amp have a wide frequency response. Allen Organ amps are some that do. Probably why many organ amps end up as guitar or harp amps. :yes:

A lot more difficult though ,to turn a mono Organ amp into a stereo amplifier.
The biggest problem would be, that the original power transformer would NOT have the additional current handling capability, for the addition output required for stereo operation?
Oh, it can be done....but NOT without significant additional expenses.

That why you'd use a stereo organ amp. :)

I have one that I purchased from JWN earlier this year. It's a push-pull stereo amp with two 6L6GC or EL34 power tubes per channel, one 12AU7 phase splitter per channel, one 5U4GB or 5AR4 rectifier per channel, and a single 6SN7 driver tube. Built on a Baldwin organ chassis, with massive power transformer and output transformers from a Rowe(?) jukebox.

You see a lot of Baldwins out there. Have heard with only minimalist changes and sounded fantastic.

The Baldwin amplifier that I have seen that someone turned into stereo, is the mono push/pull/parallel (4 output tubes) amp with the two 12AX7 tubes. They removed the single output transformer and found or bought 2 identical output transformers.

The 4 output tubes are seperated into two only per channel in push/pull using only one 12AX7 tube per channel.

Someone here has done that mod, and I have also seen one on the bay.

Plain & Simple?

Compman, It's plain and simple. The truth of the matter is that this is what many chop-monsters do in order to feed their insatiable appetites. They knowingly disturb many hammond organ collectors and enthusiasts, the chop-monster briefly shed a few tears, mourns and then get busy pulling the components they so desperately desire, and with the prize they sought at hand, they finalize the chop-fest with the obligatory ritualistic sledge hammer crescendoed finale . I myself plead guilty to such horrific acts. There is a good side to this type of creative activity. Some Hammond cabinets I have seen have been so warped out that on one particular occasion, I actually saw a twisted amp chassis. This is what a lot of AudioKarma members do so there is nothing wrong with salvaging and repurposing amp components for a new build as long as it's cabinet is beyond repair. It's a great start for the novice and can be a creative challenge for those into repurposed maximized rebuilds, Thus having a bolstered up (SuperCharged) old relic to show off. From what I have read, many people have great success and achieve promising results with these types of amps. If you've got the time, their ain't no crime.

Plain and simple, would there be much hope for stripping the amp parts out of an old hammond organ and converting it for use as a stero amp? Would it even be worth it?

As you have heard "it depends".
Do you have a specific organ in mind, or asking in general? I you have a specific amp, we may be able to help you figure out if the power transformer can handle a stereo compliment of tubes. Sometimes there are enough tubes sockets that you WON'T be powering to make this work.

There is also the issue of finding matching output transformers that have a wide enough frequency range for hi-fi use.

I've got a pair of Baldwin monos a local guy rebuilt rated 20 watts and they sound great, dead quiet and very detailed. He has listened to his Baldwins and claims they sound better than such amps as Daynaco 70's, some of the Mac tube amps. I've never done a side by side, all I know is they sound great and easily push som McIntosh ML-1C's, which aren't an easy or efficient speaker to drive.

This organ is made by Conn and I will get the chassis number. It does not appear to be a very good quality organ but is fully working.

I have a serious question about the baldwin three channel mono amplifier 3 12ax7 and 8 6bq5 tubes it has two smaller output transformers and one large one. The question is do these output transformers have a wide frequency range? output power 20 watts x2 and 40 watts bass. I ordered all new caps and rewired them for standard power also added a switch. Waiting for the caps rca and speaker terminals to arrive. Am i wasting my time with these?

Would also like to add i ended up with three of these amplifiers and all the original speakers 2 12inch full range and one 15inch bass speaker per amplifier. If after the rebuild they sound good I plan on building two custom cabinets for these speakers.

One last question if the output transformers are frequency range limited is it higher or lower frequencies or does it cut both? and what something like 50hz to 8khz anyone know?

That all depends on the amp , start your own thread and post some photo's and or a schematic and we can tell you something intelligent .

Ok thanks battradio I'm trying to find a schematic for these amps. If i run into trouble with the restoration i'll post pic's and open a new thread. If output transformers are the only limiting factor than some new edcors it will be.

Compman, It's plain and simple. The truth of the matter is that this is what many chop-monsters do in order to feed their insatiable appetites. They knowingly disturb many hammond organ collectors and enthusiasts, the chop-monster briefly shed a few tears, mourns and then get busy pulling the components they so desperately desire, and with the prize they sought at hand, they finalize the chop-fest with the obligatory ritualistic sledge hammer crescendoed finale . I myself plead guilty to such horrific acts. There is a good side to this type of creative activity. Some Hammond cabinets I have seen have been so warped out that on one particular occasion, I actually saw a twisted amp chassis. This is what a lot of AudioKarma members do so there is nothing wrong with salvaging and repurposing amp components for a new build as long as it's cabinet is beyond repair. It's a great start for the novice and can be a creative challenge for those into repurposed maximized rebuilds, Thus having a bolstered up (SuperCharged) old relic to show off. From what I have read, many people have great success and achieve promising results with these types of amps. If you've got the time, their ain't no crime.

Except the Hammond organ people (and guitar people) will get their revenge someday by chopping Fishers and Macs when there are no longer any instrument amps left in the world. I can just see the questions: How do I turn this MC 240-thing into a guitar amp? (gotta have tube distortion...) :D

Back
Top Bottom