converting 1219 to fully manual.?

b_sdaddy

Am I mad.?

Bear with me.
Just sold a renovated (myself) 1219, whereby I used two 'donors' 1219 from a junk shop, although they were not in a bad really.
Anyway, I have a perfect wooden plinth left over, the metal plate, again in good condition. Underneath, the motor/idler works fine. And the tonearm is still complete, with the lift mech. also working.

I could post online as 'parts' and get some money back.

But for a second system, I was thinking of making a custom TT. (Always love seeing these creations).

Sell off the plinth, as they're the weakest part of the TT. Build a custom plinth myself, and fit a simplified version of the 1219 above. Will also need to get a dustcover made.

My main system up in the loft has a Mk IV Lenco L70, which I just adore. This only has an 'ON' button and a lift mech.

So if I was to strip down the 1219, is it just a case of putting back together without all the 'gubbins'.?
Or will it be a bit more involved.?

Going to trawl the internet for a lovely big Bakelite knob and matching 'ON' light. I've got to think of how it's going to look, as the wife won't allow it to go into the living room....

OR
get €50 for it as 'spares 'n' repair'.?

cheers for your advice

This is a really cool idea, I have more than one "parts dual" in the basement that have perfectly fine tonearms and working motors and idlers....

I don't use my Dual 1229 as changer, so I just put a single-play short center post on it. I like having the TT return the tonearm to the rest on its own when the record is done. Why would I want to go to fully manual and have the needle grind away in the record end groove if I've had to step away to another room?

I don't use my Dual 1229 as changer, so I just put a single-play short center post on it. I like having the TT return the tonearm to the rest on its own when the record is done. Why would I want to go to fully manual and have the needle grind away in the record end groove if I've had to step away to another room?
His point was using his leftovers to make a manual turntable, not convert a working one to manual. I like the idea. What do you have to lose? Perhaps the idler wheel can be pulled back with a manual lever.

One word "don't"

"Gubbins"?
My 1219 doesn't have any gubbins...
I scoured the parts list... no gubbins.
Must be an English thing...

I had gubbins once, but some antibiotics and chicken soup took care of it.

Back
Top Bottom