Cool Philips Receiver and Speaker snag.

Speedbump71

Buried in speakers
Subscriber
My wife picked these up at an estate sale for me yesterday. Sweet little Philips set, made and designed in two of my hometowns, Ft. Wayne, IN and Knoxville, TN.

Cant wait to hear what they sound like. Anybody know anything about these? Receiver is a 7871. Speakers are 476.

IMG_9359.JPG
IMG_9360.JPG
IMG_9361.JPG

The foam surround on the woofer (behind the screen) looks to be totally dried out. If so, replace that first before cranking the music.

I have the little brother of that receiver (the 7841) and I really like it. It seems like it plays the music without adding or subtracting anything, and I think it is pretty nice looking. I'm envious as I'd love to check out one of the higher power units.

I have the big brothers to those speakers. The domes sound really beautiful to my ears. The xovers are quite elaborate for that era, using a group of resistors with the pad switch rather than just an l-pad. They couldn't have been cheap to manufacture.

The receiver was not made in the US, most likely Asian. They probably used Magnavox's old address in Fort Wayne, since they owned them by then. Phillips is a Dutch company.

I remember them being advertised back in the day, but never had any experience with them. Looks like a nice old receiver. Speakers are kind of interesting.

The receiver was not made in the US, most likely Asian. They probably used Magnavox's old address in Fort Wayne, since they owned them by then. Phillips is a Dutch company.

I remember them being advertised back in the day, but never had any experience with them. Looks like a nice old receiver. Speakers are kind of interesting.

Most of the research I have done points to them having been designed in Ft. Wayne, and built in Knoxville. I could of course be wrong. Receiver is prominently marked "Made in USA"

I worked for Philips at the old Magnavox plant in Auburn Indiana for several years. Now that I'm in Knoxville, I work with quite a few engineers who worked at the plant here building TVs. I'll have to ask around and see if anybody knows for sure.

I could certainly be wrong, but most home audio manufacturing left the US in the early 1970's. Televisions followed in the late 1980's. If these were indeed made in the US, certainly out of the norm, for the time.

The wording on the back might say something like designed and engineered in US or some type of wording like that, but actual manufacturing probably took place somewhere else. About the only audio US made when this receiver came out, was McIntosh, and a few other high end brands, and speakers.

The speakers could very well be US assembled with either US or foreign parts. Large speakers were a different story than regular electronics, as they were much more expensive to ship. Consoles were the same way. Assembled here from foreign parts.

Last edited:
Doing a little research on something else today and came across an article that said Phillips Labortory Series from 1977 to 1981 was US made. Certainly threw me for a loop. Learn something new every day.

Wait - can i go back to the OP......your wife picked up audio gear for you at an estate sale?!?!!? Wow. Good woman.

All I get at Brooklyn estate sales are moldy Engelbert Humperdinck album covers. Nice snag there.

Cheers.

Update on the 476 speakers. I finally did a refoam and refinish on these babies and they look great. Sound is pretty good as well.
They do look good. I think they sound good because they have Philips drivers in them. Similar to Time Windows (early ones with woofer and tweeter, later with tweeter), and lots of other speakers.

Nice looking set with the receiver.

I bought one of those Phillips receivers new from Tech Hi Fi in Nashua NH in 1980...nice enough, drove my Bose 901 Series Il's very well...but I was enamoured of the new Sony's just out at that time and in about a week I returned the Phillips and got a Sony...strictly a cosmetic thing...the Sony lasted until '96.

The Phillips had a nice FM section, as I remember...

I've seen those speakers before but Philips receivers, especially upper end ones, are hard to find. I would have grabbed it.
You should give your wife a big pat on the back.

My wife picked these up at an estate sale for me yesterday. Sweet little Philips set, made and designed in two of my hometowns, Ft. Wayne, IN and Knoxville, TN.

Cant wait to hear what they sound like. Anybody know anything about these? Receiver is a 7871. Speakers are 476.

View attachment 837097
View attachment 837098
View attachment 837099

Do you still have the receiver? I just picked one up off of Facebook marketplace and absolutely love it. All it needed was a little deoxit. Love that it was made in Tennessee too!

Back
Top Bottom