Cordless tools and batteries

one of the things you'll probably notice is how much more torque (in effect useful power) -the newer motors have at lower voltages. A few years back i finally gave up on my older 14.4V Milwaukee's and went to their LithIon drills. initially bought a 18V combo hammer/drill - next a 12V tool -the 12V tools are what i use daily -much lighter and smaller and plenty powerful for my daily tasks.I only have 2 18V tools as a result -just don't need the extra power. Milwaukee is making 2 series that take the same batteries -the FUEL series has a new brush less motor (more torque - longer MTF) . i think all the major cordless manufacturers have introduced brushless motors within their lines in the last few years. The newer red series batteries from Milwaukee are much better in very cold weather than the previous generations of LithIons (which derated dramatically once life went below 0C/32F). Electric coat is the best dog walking accessory ever -works off of both 12 and 18V Red batteries. And when working in high crime areas the red colour of their tools is a great feature because folks are less likely to think you've got a pistol in your hand.

And when working in high crime areas the red colour of their tools is a great feature because folks are less likely to think you've got a pistol in your hand.

Something we would hardly think about in the UK - thankfully. :)

Ya - I was struck by a interview with the head of the ER next to the nightclub that got attacked in Paris. He had 37 GSW's come thru his door in minutes.Triage was happening at the theater - so these were what medical personnel/first responders judged as both live and saveable patients. he voluntered that this was a LOT of GSW's at one time. Interviewer asked - what's a "normal" number of GSW's. He said one. Then was asked " a day?" -he replied " no a year". I've mentioned this to customers who work in emergency medicine in my area - the ONLY people who thought this was even possible were a couple of doctors originally from Germany. I think Europeans know what their missing and might be a hard sell for the NRA ?

My best cordless tool is a gasoline powered Echo hedge trimmer. Has anyone thought about using a small internal combustion engine to power tools? These have been used for model airplanes and some model cars and boats for a long time. You can even buy the engines by themselves. These engines typically run off of nitromethane and methanol mixtures.

Certainly an intriguing idea especially for remote locations far from electricity.

Along those lines, I've wondered for awhile if someone could produce a universal solar charger that would output anything from USB for phones to 24V or whatever they use for high end cordless tools these days, AA to D cells, etc. It would handle different battery types from Li ion to car batteries. Modular solar panels so you could plug in more for higher wattage. Maybe an onboard battery to save up juice when you aren't charging something with it. It would be awesome for off the grid work or disaster relief. I suppose it would be rather expensive to execute.

For outside - "gas" engines make sense . Fumes -incl. CO are the reason these aren't used much inside plus fire hazard.. Before my latest battery tool buying spree -I considered buying one of the smaller Honda generators and just plugging my corded tools into that. But my trade doesn't require tools that pull lots of current -so the versatility of the newer LithION battereries and tools won out.

Home usage report- a dozen or two drilling/driving job a year, including disassemble a couple old VCR, TV, printers (harvesting screws & electronics):

It's been more than a year, about 16 months actually. The Rigid drill and driver set came with two 4 Ahr battery packs. I gave them one charge at the beginning. I have been using them on a that charge all these months. On heavy jobs I use the regular corded set. When I run across a few holes/ screws in a hurry, I would grab them. Just done some work last weekend and both batteries are showing 75% charge still. Lithium batteries are the way to go. If I have to do it over again, I will probably buy a cheaper brand as the replacement battery are cheaper.

Home use report at ~25th month. As noted above I had just one charge on the batteries at box opening, and I been using the drill and driver on and off around the house. Today I see the batteries still show 75% charge.

Certainly an intriguing idea especially for remote locations far from electricity.

Along those lines, I've wondered for awhile if someone could produce a universal solar charger that would output anything from USB for phones to 24V or whatever they use for high end cordless tools these days, AA to D cells, etc. It would handle different battery types from Li ion to car batteries. Modular solar panels so you could plug in more for higher wattage. Maybe an onboard battery to save up juice when you aren't charging something with it. It would be awesome for off the grid work or disaster relief. I suppose it would be rather expensive to execute.

It is not hard to come up with it. Any EE or ET can design one. It probably won't be long to see one in stores.

Recording the home use experience on the drill and driver set: I finally have to charge both of the 4 Ahr battery packs today. This is the 2nd charge on the batteries.

Back
Top Bottom