Cork Yoga Bricks??

PastTechFan

Not sure if I've stumbled upon something. (Google and AK search don't show anything.)

My W90s are a little boomy sitting on the floor, but a little heavy to get them off it very high. Eventually, I'd like to build (perimeter) stands about 6-8", with recessed veneered skirt. In the mean time, I've snuck two yoga bricks (6"x3"x9") under each one.

It seems to me the bass is a little cleaner, mids and highs even clearer, and I can crank the whole system a little more. WIN!!

Does this make "psychoacoustic" sense, or is it just a little confirmation bias? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• DSC00769.jpg
    DSC00769.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Cork Yoga Bricks.jpg
    Cork Yoga Bricks.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 186
No, it makes perfect sense. I'm using three of the small Audio Engine 2 stands underneath each of mine.
They tilt the speakers back a bit and clean the bass and midrange up.

Leaning Towers!

Thanks, never saw those.

Wow, 15 degrees? Even the Leaning Tower at Pisa was only ever 5.5 degrees (Wiki tells me)! Aren't they a little tippy?

The bricks do two things:

1. They keep the vibrating bottom of the speaker cabinet from exciting the floor.

2. They allow additional dipole cancellation; sound waves can now wrap around all four sides of the speaker, instead of just 3.

So no, you're not imagining things. Cool tweak!

I needed to get my Paradigm 9se's off of the floor by 8 inches and i looked into a bunch of options, yoga bricks being one of them, but they were too small for my needs and i went with cinderblocks instead. But i do plan on adding a layer of cork to the top of the the cinderblocks soon.

Anyway yeah yoga blocks are great for a smaller speaker, I think cork is a great isolating material, i use a cork mat on my turntable and i love it.

Recently in an effort to dial in a pair of fairly large (24"Hx20"Wx14"D) Infinity 2000II's, mostly to improve and clean up the bass response, I placed them on a pair of Lovan 6" shot loaded "Jazz" spiked steel stands that I had sitting in the garage unused. I thought they might be too small to provide adequate support so I installed a wood platform on top of them to accommodate the speaker's 20"x14" base and because of the platform and the weight of the stands everything worked out quite well. Also because the stands have adjustable spikes I was able to raise the front of the speakers an inch or two which also helped in my mission.

That being said, I can see where three or four of these Yoga bricks under each speaker might have served the same purpose at a much lower cost had I not already had the stands available to me and so will keep them in mind should such a need ever arise again.

The hard foam yoga block are cheaper ($5/per) and not quite as dense as the cork blocks. They don't compress much and are sturdy enough to support quite of bit of weight. Like a couple hundred pounds per block when laid flat. They come in several different thicknesses.

yoga-block-reviews.jpg

Last edited:
Old thread but an interesting low cost tweak. I'm ordering a couple of cork yoga blocks to lift my monitors on my computer desk. Better listening alignment and if it provides a bit of isolation to boot then I'm laughing. Will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom