Cornwall II"s...should I or shouldn't I?

Don't be intimidated or reluctant to do the upgrades. I have never owned any of the "Heritage" series, but quite a few of the "three sisters"--Forte, Chorus and Quartet have passed through my hands--and Bob Crites will become your best friend. It can (and in my case) will make a world of difference. Don't be scared, everything is relatively easy and inexpensive and totally reversible.

Don't be intimidated or reluctant to do the upgrades. I have never owned any of the "Heritage" series, but quite a few of the "three sisters"--Forte, Chorus and Quartet have passed through my hands--and Bob Crites will become your best friend. It can (and in my case) will make a world of difference. Don't be scared, everything is relatively easy and inexpensive and totally reversible.

I did a Crites crossover upgrade on a pair of Fortes that I owned several years ago. While I'm more mechanically astute then I was back then, suffice to say it was not a fun endeavor for me. And frankly, to my ears, it didn't seem to improve things all that much. I just don't want to start tearing into things and making them potentially worse.

Get 'em & enjoy them. When the time to update parts hits you, some moron (someone like me :eek: ) will urge you to still leave them well enough alone & convert them into 2-ways by setting a different Klipsch horn/driver on top and going active.

:D

Man, I sure would.

Thanks guys. The listing is still up, and I've contacted the seller to see if they're still available.

I won't buy a set of Klipsch speakers that someone has "modded". I have 4 pair (KG2, KG4, Cornwall, and Khorns), all bone stock and I love them that way. I'm sure that suggestions for modifications will make a difference in the way they sound. Whether or not they're for the "better" is totally subjective.

Buy them and enjoy them the way they are if you like the sound.

I won't buy a set of Klipsch speakers that someone has "modded". I have 4 pair (KG2, KG4, Cornwall, and Khorns), all bone stock and I love them that way. I'm sure that suggestions for modifications will make a difference in the way they sound. Whether or not they're for the "better" is totally subjective.

Buy them and enjoy them the way they are if you like the sound.

Thank you!

Well looks like I'm first in line as he other buyer "flaked"(seller's words). So just trying to arrange the time to go get them.

At the very least you owe it to yourself (and the speakers (they have been in production 50 years), to hear them stock. Nothing wrong with modding, They must've gotten something right in the first place.

Last edited:
I once had a pair of heresys (heresies?) They didn't do it for me. I'm holding out hope that they just weren't right and that wasn't the Klipsch sound. We'll see?

They do look like they belong right there!

Nice job!!

(btw, my honky horn comments are a bit tongue in cheek.... it's something I've read over & over and roll my eyes at... I've owned horns, specifically LaScalas (and other Klipsch offerings) for 38 years so I'm on your side of the fence)

:thumbsup:

I once had a pair of heresys (heresies?) They didn't do it for me. I'm holding out hope that they just weren't right and that wasn't the Klipsch sound. We'll see?

I have heard many a Heresy in my day--and there is a reason that I will never own them--because I do not believe that they truly represent the Klipsch sound--nor "good" sound of any kind. They have no bottom end considering the size of the woofer and cabinet, and when you apply power, they just get "shouty"--but that is just me. Everyone likes what they likes, and works well in their space.

Can I just say how good this sounds through these speakers?? Absolutely fabulous. Any Dead fan should be able to hear their favorite live recording through a pair of Cornwall's. Just amazing.

R-9286055-1490728721-5993.jpeg.jpg

Switched the rack with the power regenerator and moved it further away from the right speaker, opening things up more. Just wow...

0525171126.jpg

My Cornwalls were a step up from my KG4s, and it was quite a difference. Luckily I was able to snag a pair of Khorns later, so I parked the Cornwalls in an empty bedroom.

Now we're getting ready to sell this place, move, and probably downsize, so I don't know if the Khorns will fit into our scheme of things. Glad I kept the Cornwalls.:thumbsup:

I also have a non modded set of Cornwalls that reside for the moment in a 14x20 carpeted living room that are all original and sound just fine. I know the history on this pair (one owner, unused for years but kept inside) and inspection of drivers and crossover when I got them several years ago showed they had lived an easy life. No intention of opening them up again unless needed. WAF tolerence for absurd sound pressure levels in our living room ends about 90db loud but loves the look of gold cane on black.

I also have a non modded set of Cornwalls that reside for the moment in a 14x20 carpeted living room that are all original and sound just fine. I know the history on this pair (one owner, unused for years but kept inside) and inspection of drivers and crossover when I got them several years ago showed they had lived an easy life. No intention of opening them up again unless needed. WAF tolerence for absurd sound pressure levels in our living room ends about 90db loud but loves the look of gold cane on black.

Would love to see pictures of those.

Back
Top Bottom