Correct replacement relay for a 2285 (not B version)?

Osibisa

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
As luck would have it, I came across a 2285 in pretty good condition and took the plunge.

It needs a little TLC but as far as I can tell from first glance inside it is all original with the exception of the protection relay. At some point in its life someone replaced the original with a socket based one of the wrong voltage (12v vs 24v).

Searching through the rebuild threads here I have not been able to find a specific reference or part number for a replacement. I also have a suspicion that the typical Omron "MY" relay may not fit the bill.

Does anyone know the correct part?

This is what I found inside:

IMG_0417.JPG

IMG_0418.JPG

I used the Omron MY2-02-DC24 on mine. Works great and readily available from Mouser.

I think I'll go with the Omron replacement that MBuras suggested as I just happen to have a new spare on hand.

Not fond of the choice of socket used and I didn't go as far to look for a 24v equivalent. What prompted me to look in the first place was fading L&R channels during initial power up.
Also there is a 1 watt resistor that feeds one side of the coil that got as hot as the 5 watt on the board.

Now that I know what to use I can put this on the back burner until my current project is completed. Thanks for your help!

I would wonder if the person who changed out the relay changed a limiting resistor to make the voltage at the coil 12 volts. Like that 1 watt resistor! You will need to change it back to the original value if it was changed.

You are exactly right! There is a rectangular ceramic that got squeezed in for R815 that is not original, too bad the value is face down but doesn't matter, a correct one is on order now.

Thanks for the heads up!

Well finally had a chance to sort things out, have the new relay installed and replaced the current limiting resistor with the correct 560 ohm but bumped the wattage up to 3w. While I was there I went ahead and replaced the caps which is a good thing because a cold solder joint was discovered on the legs of H801.That socket the previous owner had installed was incorrect for this type of circuit board (should have been flush mounted) and did a number to the trace side, some minor surgery was warranted to correct.

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

All voltages are stable and no more fading of the L&R channels. Checked the offset & bias just for kicks and they only needed a very minor adjustment.

Not doing anything else to it right now as I'm in the middle of another project (2275), just wanted to hear how it sounded in stock form. Will say that the sound is clean and defined however my preference would have a deeper bass response like my 2270. Perhaps this was by design? We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom