Correct woofer for ML-1C speakers

Martin Angus

i recently purchased a very nice pair of subject cabinets. They are missing the 12 inch woofers. In searching the bay I see several different speakers offered as "original, needs refoaming". Some have round magnets, some square. Which is correct for my cabinets?

To my knowledge they had 8 inch or so square magnets.....if you visit Roger Russell's McIntosh site the man who designed the speakers details their design.

The later XRs used round magnet types.

Audio Classics has replacements for sale, give Ryan a call. Make sure you check all your crossover components and high frequency drivers. Those super tweeters are fragile. If you see any tanned or brown resistors replace them. All the caps should be replaced if black in color. The yellow ones should be measured. Find your self an owners manual, it will help. This system check out and total rebuild ain't gonna be cheap, but once completed you will have one of the finest sets of book shelf speakers ever designed. You can always contact roger russell over the internet for answers. Audio classics also has upgrades for the tweeter and super tweeter. $$$.

I love my ML-1Cs. I replaced all the caps and resistors in my crossovers. I would definitely replace the resistors in yours if you're going to do the caps. They're cheap and if you're already in the crossovers...

Martin, you may also want to research the companion MQ equalizers that were designed to be sold with these speakers.

Great info and comments. Thanks all. I have ordered the correct surrounds from simply speakers, fixable woofers are enroute from the bay...and my search is set up for am MQ-101 or 2
Looking forward to hearing these babies pushed with my C28 and MC2105. It never even occured to me that a single speaker could provide 20-20K frequency response short of adding a sub.

I was considering selling the Walnut cabs I have for the amps but now I have a reason to keep things matched up. I'm a pretty accomplished woodworker and the quality of these ML1C cabinets gets my respect. 1974 all over again!

I bet that when you're all done and they're up and running that you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

I have to admit that until recently I was under the (false) impression that Mcintosh speakers sucked... Must be a stigma or something. The spec.s say otherwise. But pricing is reflective of demand I suppose. I see there is a set of ML-1Cs on the bay for a buy-it-now of $450...recently refoamed....with equalizer!! Sounds like a bargain to me.

Last edited:
Some people think Mac speakers suck.......they might have even listened to them?

They do not sound like JBLs so if you are looking for that west coast sound they will not please.

If you think of seats at your local symphony hall the ML speakers have a voicing curve very much like row 20, many consider these the best seats in the house, but if you expect row 3 you will be unhappy. The later series of Mac speakers slowly began to accomadate those of us who wanted a sound closer to the action so to speak.......but row 12 was about as close as RR would accomadate us. This was very much a conversation between RR's boss and myself back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom