Cosmetics on my 301 and 3009... unleash the opinions

Peroxide! I’ve tried bleach, but not H202! Thanks!

I’ve done the main bearing, but not the idler. The wheel only has two hairline cracks, it’s been in a favorable climate for 50years. I did the rejuvenator thing.

With bleach, don't forget the time element. If it soaks a while, it will be much more effective than wiping it with a dampened cloth. I spent a couple days bleaching a mid century modern dining set, with molded fibreglass chairs which were badly stained, and it came out beautiful. Results were far from instant though, I had bleach soaked rags in contact with the stains for hours, and kept coming back and adding more as it evaporated.

I wonder if there were two iterations of the series one SME’s?

The answer is kind of, when the SME series 1 arms were initially produced there was no anti-skate provision
as almost every other arm of the time did not address the issue of anti-skate.

Prior to the introduction of the next generation arm SME introduced the anti-skate as "an accessory add on".
I happen to have an original advertisement promoting the new anti-skate accessory for sale.

So a series 1 SME without the anti-skate is proper, as is an arm with the anti-skate accessory.

The answer is kind of, when the SME series 1 arms were initially produced there was no anti-skate provision
as almost every other arm of the time did not address the issue of anti-skate.

Prior to the introduction of the next generation arm SME introduced the anti-skate as "an accessory add on".
I happen to have an original advertisement promoting the new anti-skate accessory for sale.

So a series 1 SME without the anti-skate is proper, as is an arm with the anti-skate accessory.

Could you share a picture of that advertisement?
Is the ad dated?
Thanks for providing so much info!

I had a 301 in that plinth long ago, before I knew what I had. RedBoy is right - that flimsy, bouncy plinth won't let the 301 do its thing anywhere near as well as it can in a heavy plinth.

Oh! and I meant to say that while the original plinth is neat and period correct and all, it's doing a disservice to that 301's real potential. :)

I rebuild ~2 electric motors a month at work. I completely overhauled most of my other tts and my most recent tt motor rebuild was my Thorens TD-124... and it also currently resides in an original hollow walnut box of negligible weight. I will get to the motor, rest assured, this thread was about cosmetics.

Just like with classic cars, some like to preserve stock, some do resto-mods, and some hot rod.

I had a 301 in that plinth long ago, before I knew what I had. RedBoy is right - that flimsy, bouncy plinth won't let the 301 do its thing anywhere near as well as it can in a heavy plinth.

Just like the classic car hobby, some prefer to preserve stock... even if others perceive this as a disservice.
I have a whole 4 page thread discussing the pros and cons of a mass-load vs sprung plinth. This is the route I’ve chosen, others choose their path for their reasons.

Back
Top Bottom