Cost effective but hi-fi way to play flacs and aiffs from pc wirelessly to vintage receiver?

Jesse3enne77

Hi all,

I'm a bit overwhelmed by this tech. I currently use a wired external soundcard to play lossless audio files from laptop on my home stereo system. I'd like to go wireless. As I understand it, Chromecast does this effectively for WAV and FLAC but won't play AIFF. What are my other options?

Thanks in advance :)

Unless it is a really robust wireless system you'll experience some buffering and drop out issues with those large files.

I'd go external DAC as suggested above with a USB connection to your PC and an analog connection from the DAC to the receiver input.

Cost effective can be a subjective term...I use a Logitech Squeezebox Duet, it handles AIFF, PCM, FLAC, WAV as lossless and it's DAC sounds pretty good. Amazon still has them for a reasonable price.

Squeezebox Touch here. Does everything asked for, sounds great, and while Logitech has given up on them there still is a robust group of supporters who, among other things, provide regular software updates.

Nice on just went up on BT.

Last edited:
Got an extra Android phone that has a decent DAC? Try Muzecast.
It's a free software-based streaming solution. I'm testing it with a 10,000 song playlist and it's working great.

No phone? Try a Bluetooth transmitter hooked to the PC and a receiver hooked to the stereo.

Too far for Bluetooth? Try a Blackbox FM transmitter connected the computer.

Back
Top Bottom