Cost effective but hi-fi way to play flacs and aiffs from pc wirelessly to vintage receiver?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Jesse3enne77, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Jesse3enne77

Jesse3enne77 New Member

Hi all,

I'm a bit overwhelmed by this tech. I currently use a wired external soundcard to play lossless audio files from laptop on my home stereo system. I'd like to go wireless. As I understand it, Chromecast does this effectively for WAV and FLAC but won't play AIFF. What are my other options?

Thanks in advance :)

Please register to disable this ad.

2. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

A cheap DAC which can connect to you PC via USB and software you that can control via a phone or pad. Topping D50 and others are what to look for.

Forget Chromcast - mediocre as mediocre does.

3. Yamaki

Yamaki Not For Hire Subscriber

Unless it is a really robust wireless system you'll experience some buffering and drop out issues with those large files.

I'd go external DAC as suggested above with a USB connection to your PC and an analog connection from the DAC to the receiver input.

darkblue94 and botrytis like this.
  4. twiiii

twiiii Addicted Member

I like to use Apple TV.

5. nbarber

nbarber I was once told "That is a damn good stereo".

Cost effective can be a subjective term...I use a Logitech Squeezebox Duet, it handles AIFF, PCM, FLAC, WAV as lossless and it's DAC sounds pretty good. Amazon still has them for a reasonable price.

6. sberger

sberger Hard Core Geezer Subscriber

Squeezebox Touch here. Does everything asked for, sounds great, and while Logitech has given up on them there still is a robust group of supporters who, among other things, provide regular software updates.

Nice on just went up on BT.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    Raynald likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. rwartner

rwartner Super Member

8. robgmn

robgmn Super Member

Got an extra Android phone that has a decent DAC? Try Muzecast.
    It's a free software-based streaming solution. I'm testing it with a 10,000 song playlist and it's working great.

No phone? Try a Bluetooth transmitter hooked to the PC and a receiver hooked to the stereo.

Too far for Bluetooth? Try a Blackbox FM transmitter connected the computer.

9. 59volvo

59volvo Well-Known Member

chrome cast audio with android cell phone