Could these be the best bargin in tubedom??

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by richamor, May 10, 2012.

1. richamor

richamor amateur house husband Subscriber

4 x 6P3S-E / 5881 / 6L6GC tube (own box) () = $32.00
    Sub-Total: $32.00
    Table Rate (Air Mail): $12.00
    Total: $44.00

That's right. For the paltry sum of $44.00 American I received 4 brand new 6L6GC tubes straight from mother Russia. The Svetlana Winged "C" EL34s I had in the ST70 sounded pretty good to me. Dam good in fact. The 6L6GC's were bought on a lark after reading about them on here. I figured WTH for that price, about a third of what the "C"s cost me. And since I can bias and balance each channel (thanks to that CV PS board:D) I don't need to pop for a matched quad. I biased these at 42mV and 0 balance on each channel. It'll be interesting to see if these will let my PT run a little cooler.
    On the Dynamull driver board I have two RCA cleartop 6CG7's and two Zenith 6EJ7's.

At first impression, they sound pretty good. A bit more distinct than the EL34's with a bigger soundstage and cleaner midrange They seem a wee bit short on the lower bass notes, but that may come after a few more hours.

If you have an ST70, I would recommend you try these. And at the price, I just don't see how they can be beat. I'm thinking about ordering another set as a spare.

And again, I cannot recommend the Classic Valve Power Supply board enough.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. gearhound

gearhound Lunatic Member

I've purchased Russian equivalent EL84 and 6V6 tubes also.
    While the price of the more popular NOS tubes are going through the roof, Russian-made tubes are a decent sounding and inexpensive alternative for sure.

Steve

3. cc43fan

cc43fan I'll sleep when I'm dead

I just ordered my third quad. I was told this tube was being used in MIG Fighters, and I think it's cool that these tubes are playing music for me in upstate NY. I suspect they'll be in short supply as the word spreads. I've had good luck using a VTA low gain driver board and a 6189 in the center and 12BH7's on the outside. No bass issues here. I do want to try a E80CC in the center as suggested by Kegger. I was looking on the 'Bay for that E80CC tube...wow, no one is giving those away!

4. buglegirl

buglegirl I Want To Be The Girl With The Most Cake Subscriber

Hiya,

Interesting Tube. I wonder how many are left in Russia ??

I think some of the old production Soviets are better than the new.

Frannie

5. GordonW

GordonW Speakerfixer Subscriber

I wonder if the bass-loss might be simply due to the fact that the loading of the tube is a bit "steeper" than the 6L6 class would want (4-point-something K-ohms in the Dyna, vs. 6.6 to 8K usually used for 6L6s)?

It'd be interesting to try the ST70's 4 ohm tap, with 8 ohm speakers, with the 6L6s. That would act like 8.4K primary impedance... it could be good?

Regards,
    Gordon.

6. richamor

richamor amateur house husband Subscriber

Frannie, the place I ordered these from just say they have 100's in stock.

Gordon, I'm thinking the bass will come in as the tubes burn in. Hoping so anyway:) One of the things I did notice while biasing was the noise. These tubes seem to have a little more than the EL34's.

We'll see how they do over time. Only have about 6 hours so far.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. mikey5967

mikey5967 Active Member