Counterintuitive System Preferences

Dave B.

I have four main systems in my listening room: (1) AR9s (the big ones) driven by a Mac C22 and MC2000; (2) Mac XRT1Ks driven by a C35 and MC275 VI; (3) ADS L1530s driven by a C35 and Citation 22; and (4) little AR18s driven by a C35 and (AKer CT Jim's upgraded) Dynaco ST-120. I choose which system to play according to my mood and musical choices, although 98% of the time I play classical (mostly piano).

Here's what's weird (maybe "nuts"). I find myself using the Dynaco-AR18s setup most often these days, almost exclusively. I'm wondering why I do that, in light of the three other "big guy" systems sitting there, available at the flip of a few switches. Maybe I'm just lazy or don't want the tube heat this summer. Of course, the Citation is SS, so that blows the tube-heat argument.

Question: Have those of you with multiple systems in your listening room ever found yourself gravitating more frequently to the "lesser" setup? If so, why do you think you do that? Sound quality? Ease of operation? Maybe sometimes bigger isn't always "better." I don't know.

I'm beginning to think that I'm just overly sentimental about having a Dyna 120 driving ARs again after 48 years without one. I'm also starting to think that I just don't know what I'm thinking. :crazy:

What do you think? :idea:

Dave

Sometimes I listen to a radio rather than one of my systems. Why? I don't really know. It's a mood thing, for me. But I have only one system per room. Lots of radios, though. Most of the time it's the main system, in the den. Sometimes the bedroom system which is no slouch, to my ear. But I enjoy the little $200 system in the garage, too, and choose to listen there, sometimes at night when it's cool. Variety is the spice of life, I guess.

But it's more than that. It's as if the Antiphile has to come out now and again.

Sometimes I listen to a radio rather than one of my systems.

You take me back to my childhood. I spent many a summer night under the huge oak trees in our front yard listening to NYC's WQXR-AM playing Brahms, Beethoven, Bach, and the other great composers on a tiny hand-held Motorola transistor radio. Those formative moments have blossomed over the decades into what's now playing on the equipment in the room where I'm typing this. Big systems from tiny radios grow, I guess.

Motorola radio.jpg

Back
Top Bottom