Couple questions about film and processing...

whoaru99

Epic Member
I have one roll of 120 and one roll of 35mm film that have been in the cameras for some unknown, but rather long I'd expect, time. What chance any of the photos on them will turn out half-decent (at least from a processing standpoint...the photog. is another topic :) )?

Also, from the fridge, I have a couple rolls of 120 (Portra 160 and Portra 400) dated from 2004. Worth running it through the camera and having it processed, even if just to get the hang of things again?

Lastly, no local 120 processing. Anyone sending in film, what is your recommendation for a processing center/lab?

You can probably expect some fading and color shifting due to the age of the film. Some labs will compensate for that if you're willing to pay, but it's pretty much inconsistent across a roll and time consuming.

Tricky part may be finding anyone who actually prints the photos anymore. Most online shops will develop the film and send back scans. If you go that route, make sure you get the negatives back as well. If you've got photoshop or other decent editing software, you can color correct and adjust the scans prior to printing them yourself. AssUming of course you've got a decent printer. I use an HP injket with good results, but the dang thing eats ink like there's no tomorrow.

Another option might be to head on over to the local big box store. There's one down the road from me that does a bang up job of printing your digital stuff. Stands to reason, GIGO rules, so take your time prepping those prior to printing.

Is that color negative film? Consider having it processed and see what the negs look like and then decide if you want to get prints. Tell the lab not to cut the negatives into strips. You want to get it back full length as it came from the roll.

Yeah, this is all color negative film.

After a bit more digging it appears there may be a place that still processes film about 75 miles from here. They have a few options like develop-only, develop and scan, and develop and print. Develop and scan maybe is a good middle ground. Need to study the price sheet a bit more then call. The website appears like they are still doing business but the price sheet is dated late 2015.

The stuff that's been refrigerated continuously is probably OK. The stuff in the camera, there's no predicting, but it's always worth developing just to see the subject. As said above, make sure the place you send them to returns the negatives, as (I was surpirsed to learn) some places no longer do. I no longer worry about whether they cut the negs into pieces of 4, 6, or n shots or not, as I would have to cut them anyway in order to scan them myself.

first pics off the roll might have colour issues . i had a roll of 35mm done after it sat in a box for around 15 years or maybe longer .

If you want top notch processing and scanning of 120 format, there's really not many options better than North Coast Photo is Carlsbad. Decently priced, they'll push/pull as requested, and the high res scans are well over 4000x4000 pixels. I use them for anything serious, they do a great job. They'll do C41, E6, and B&W

I have used these guys in NYC a couple of years back when I was in that part of the world and didn't want to risk xray damage bring them back here.

www.colorresourcecenter.com/film-lab/

They did about 15 or so rolls of 120 colour neg for me. They were very good. Looks like they do mail order.
I, personally, woud call/email them about your film and see what they say.

As to old film, I have 20+ year old B&W film that I am still using. It has been kept frozen and is still good. Slight increase in base fog, but not bad.

Back
Top Bottom