Cover version that you like better than the original?

Alone Again or ~Love~ performed by Arizona based band ~Calexico~

Sounds like the original by Love but included mariachi horns which took the song over the top!

Another version by ~The Damned~

Last edited:

Not that I like all of them better than the originals, but I'm Your Fan: The Songs of Leonard Cohen is a very good collection of Leonard Cohen covers, including that one from R.E.M. It includes John Cale's cover of "Hallelujah" that was very influential on later covers such as Jeff Buckley, both in his arrangement and selection of verses out of many that Cohen had written.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Your_Fan

The song on that album that Cohen pointed out as an improvement on his own recording was "Don't Go Home with Your Hard-On" by David McComb & Adam Peters (both members of Australian band The Triffids).

I carn't decide on this one.

Footnote.
I was at school and there was a few gigs coming up,limited funds,I had to decide on which ticket to buy,Motorhead at Manchesters' Free Trade Hall,or The Clash at Manchester Apollo,I went for Motorhead,and to this day I wonder if I made the right choice.
The classic lineup of Motorhead was good though.[/QUOTE]

My choice would be both.There is no way I could only choose one.

I actually like both versions equally.(same song, slightly different names)

1967 - The Cryan' Shames - The Sailing Ship
2001 - The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Sailor

I remembered (barely) the original, and went on a search for it. What a great b side. Anton went up in my esteem when I heard it on Bravery, etc. And I agree, both are great.

Tina Turner's cover of "What's Love Got to do With It" just slays the original.

Last edited:
Tina Turner's cover of "What's Love Got to do With It" just slays the original.
You had me goin' there for a second. I had to look it up to make sure I wasn't suffering from early-onset dementia.

Tina's version was the original.

Back
Top Bottom