CR-2020 vs CR-2040

steveUK

Is the 2040 genuinely a later upgrade on the 2020? What are people's views on this? Have you owned both perhaps? I presently own a CR-2020 (below) and although I'm 'quite happy' with it, you know how it is, you're always on the look out for something better, and I'm captivated by those soft green lights..

In Yamaha circles, which one is generally considered overall to be the better receiver? What do people reckon to be better about the 2040?

Thanks!

c0ba17b3-29b1-460d-9fc6-cc322d621436.jpeg

A few years ago the 20 series was seen as the better one with the 40 being a downgrade due to having fake wood wraps and non discrete circuitry.

However people are cluing in to the fact that the CR-2040 was all discrete and despite the lighter casing weighed a few pounds more than the CR-2020 which meant more iron. Prices have been steadily rising on the CR-2040 and it is now going for several times what it used to around here, if you can find one.

I have owned the CR-1000, CR-1020 and a couple of CR-2020 I never got fixed as they have inherent design flaws that need a service bulletin mod. My CR-2040 is the best sounding vintage receiver I have heard but it has a much more modern sound than the earlier models. If you are looking for a warm vintage sound stick with the CR-1000/1020/2020. If you are looking for a vintage receiver with detail and transparency that transcends the earlier models look for the CR-2040. The reception of the FM section on the 2040 is way better than earlier TOTL models, though the SQ on mine is average at best.

BTW, I had a CR-840 and I was shocked at how good it sounded, even with the dreaded STKs. Also, in person the finish on the 40 series looks way better than in photos.

I'd take a 2040 over a 2020. If...I was into recievers. Even thought the 2040 can not be separated like the 2020 can. ie. Coupler switch on rear panel.

I have owned ....... a couple of CR-2020 I never got fixed as they have inherent design flaws that need a service bulletin mod.

Can someone point me in the direction of a source/link to this mod please? NB, if it is (only) the mains switch problem, we don't have the problem in the UK due to our higher 240V mains, hence reduced current. What are these design flaws that need a service bulletin mod?

My CR-2040 is the best sounding vintage receiver I have heard but it has a much more modern sound than the earlier models. If you are looking for a warm vintage sound stick with the CR-1000/1020/2020. If you are looking for a vintage receiver with detail and transparency that transcends the earlier models look for the CR-2040. The reception of the FM section on the 2040 is way better than earlier TOTL models, though the SQ on mine is average at best.

Sounds good to me (what you say!) although I'm not a fan of the 'old sound vs modern sound' delineation.

.... Also, in person the finish on the 40 series looks way better than in photos.

I can quite believe that.

Thanks for your input Raynald, appreciated.

I have both of these units. I prefer the looks of the cr-2020 but the sound of the cr-2040. Still, both are just beautiful classic receivers that any Yamaha fan would love to own!

It's a pity that the 2040 does not have the breakout pre/power connections as eventually I will want to insert my Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve Pro unit in there for speaker/room correction purposes. I suppose I could add them though, not that I like drilling holes in vintage receivers.

Just noticed, the 2040 does have adaptor connections on the rear panel that can be switched in/out on the front panel. So for me this would replace the pre/power amp break out connections admirably.

Just noticed, the 2040 does have adaptor connections on the rear panel that can be switched in/out on the front panel. So for me this would replace the pre/power amp break out connections admirably.

Yes, it is a very flexible unit with the adaptor loop that comes in handy for EQs and the like and you still have a pre out, though as you mentioned it is a shame there is no main in. Great tone controls and the FM section has some settings that are typically only found on separate tuners.

Good point, I meant the 2020 had a real wood veneer wrap while the 2040 did not, both cases are wood. I personally love the look of the case on my2040.

¿A much more modern sound?

A bit of a stereotype (pardon the pun..) but it gets across the point of some older equipment having a sound that is on the warm side of neutral with others being closer to neutral and sometimes more detailed and transparent.

Yes it is shorthand but I was just trying to help without rattling on too long. I assume if someone wants an exhaustive description of the many areas in which two components can differ they are not expecting to find it by posting here.

It's a pity that the 2040 does not have the breakout pre/power connections as eventually I will want to insert my Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve Pro unit in there for speaker/room correction purposes. I suppose I could add them though, not that I like drilling holes in vintage receivers.

An EQ should be placed in a tape loop anyway, not in a gain/cut loop like between pre and amp.

An EQ should be placed in a tape loop anyway, not in a gain/cut loop like between pre and amp.

Why is it then that manufacturers actually advise you to place such things as graphic EQs between the pre and power amp? So long as the levels are all compatible it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom