CR 2040 in passing

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
Just here for a cleanup:
DSC_0006-10.jpg

DSC_0004-17.jpg

Nice piece, listening to mine right now doing a ridiculously good job of driving the Kef R107s. Not a match that would seem to make any sense, but it sounds great.

Man that is great looking. Yamaha just really got it right with the 40 series. Too bad about the unobtanium output devices. I've got my fingers crossed that mine hang in there. (Listening to Macy Gray on my CR-640 with Boston CR-7 speakers at the moment.)

I don't think the 2040 uses the screwy unobtanium devices....

my money says Merrylander comes out with a substitute for those devices...the only question being...what will he charge for them?

I do know of a tech in california who knows a workaround for them but it's not a drop straight in replacement.

Oh yeah, that's right - the 2040 doesn't have them. (Guess I better start looking for a 2040... you know, just to be safe :D)

The Hitachi output transistors in the CR-2040 are also no longer available but there is a Sanken part that is a good sub, I have used them in a 2040.

The Hitachi output transistors in the CR-2040 are also no longer available but there is a Sanken part that is a good sub, I have used them in a 2040.

so Rob you're saying these don't have the goofy pre IC's like the lower models...but still uses output IC's that are unobtanium..but there's a sub for?

Please excuse my semi-off topic question. I have a CR-2020, and IIRC Merrylander posted somewhere that he had put the (two?) Yamaha service / upgrade bulletins for it on the AK database. Maybe CRS has finally won because I have searched it and can't locate them. Help.

BTW, sweet CR-2040

Please excuse my semi-off topic question. I have a CR-2020, and IIRC Merrylander posted somewhere that he had put the (two?) Yamaha service / upgrade bulletins for it on the AK database. Maybe CRS has finally won because I have searched it and can't locate them. Help.
BTW, sweet CR-2040

Enjoy,
JimB

Attachments

• cr-2020-servbull1.pdf
    183.1 KB · Views: 31
  • cr-2020-servbull2.pdf
    162.7 KB · Views: 16
  • cr-2020-servbull3.pdf
    660 KB · Views: 16
Would you say this is Yamaha's crowning achievement for a receiver?If so.why.

No, I'd say it was the CR-3020. The AK members that own one of these monsters would most likely agree. I have to settle for a CR-2020 and CR-1020 to keep me happy until a 3020 comes my way. :D

The 2040 uses regullar transistors in the output but like any device of that age the original versions are no longer made. Sanken makes a good sub for the 2040 just as OnSemi makes good subs for the 2020.

No, I'd say it was the CR-3020. The AK members that own one of these monsters would most likely agree. I have to settle for a CR-2020 and CR-1020 to keep me happy until a 3020 comes my way. :D

Of course we would, most of us paid too freakin much for em to disagree. :D

Gone.... as of tonight.

Oh well, my CR 620 is still sweet enough, even with 85 watts per channel less.

Back
Top Bottom