CR-2040

Overundr1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
A true time machine this one. Absolutely blemish and mark free, insides look like the unit was just delivered from Yamaha. Bias was spot on, offset needed adjustment and all the lamps were replaced with new. Compared to the cr-2020 (and cr-1000), both fully restored, the 2040 with the addition of the variable turn over points really sets the bar for the monster Yamaha receivers. Being able to tailor those crossover points to the speakers in use allows one to really dial in the sound, in this case through JBL-L100's . By far the nicest Yamaha piece I have listened to.
The small specks on the top are left overs from polishing the case :)
-Lee

cr-2040.JPG

My favorite of the big receivers. No chip amps in this baby. Discreet outputs.

Very happy for you! I was fortunate to pick up a working 2040 and one that needs some love from an Ak'er. Paired with my JBL 110s and AR XB!

Great find, I have had most of the TOTL Yamaha CRs and to me the CR-2040 is clearly the best sounding.

A true time machine this one. Absolutely blemish and mark free, insides look like the unit was just delivered from Yamaha. Bias was spot on, offset needed adjustment and all the lamps were replaced with new. Compared to the cr-2020 (and cr-1000), both fully restored, the 2040 with the addition of the variable turn over points really sets the bar for the monster Yamaha receivers. Being able to tailor those crossover points to the speakers in use allows one to really dial in the sound, in this case through JBL-L100's . By far the nicest Yamaha piece I have listened to.
-Lee

View attachment 1008776
Very nice, what did you use to polish it?

Yes , Avionic is right , this is the only receiver from serie CR..40 with discrete power transistors .All the other used "power pack IC"

-Lee

View attachment 1008776

Nice unit. Where'd you get your replacement lamps?

I still kick my own butt for passing one up at a TS for $70 15 years ago. My fellow worker bought it and it treated him well. I found out last year it stopped working and he threw it out, even after I had told him I would take it if he was ever to get rid of it. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom