CR-420 with left channel distortion

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by skidmarks70, Nov 15, 2017.

1. skidmarks70

skidmarks70 New Member

So I've cleaned this guy and replaced all the capacitors in the power supply section. I thought I finally had it working and it sounded great on headphones.

I hooked up some speakers and it initially sounded good, but I've started to get an intermittent distortion only in the left channel. It's primarily in the bass and effects both A and B speakers. If I have either (or both) sets on I can hear it on the headphones. Turning off the speakers cleans up the headphones.

At first, cycling the power or changing the source would clear the problem for a while, but that seems to be getting less effective. I thought maybe it's a bad solder joint, so I reflowed the TR421-424 joints, but that didn't help.

mbz posted some transistor voltages in this post: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....quested-with-next-steps.765622/#post-10465361

I'm going to check those next time I get a chance, but the pdf service manual I have doesn't list those? Anybody have suggestions for me?

Thanks!

N8Nagel likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Try cleaning you speaker selector switch. .. Maybe protect relay contacts...

3. avionic

It sounds more like fouled electrical contacts.

4. skidmarks70

skidmarks70 New Member

I haven't tried cleaning the protection relay, so that'll be first on the list. I've cleaned all the other switches a couple times, so I'd be a little surprised if that was it. But, you know a lot more than I do so I'll give it a go!

Thanks

5. avionic

stand by--- Those speaker select switches would need to be disassembled to get them clean.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. ConradH

ConradH Addicted Member

If I were a betting man... relay, but it might not be just the contacts. A bad cap or other part in the relay circuit can cause the relay to close with less manly vigor than needed. Check the coil voltage when the relay is closed.

7. avionic

Yamaha's protect circuit is notorious for one or more bad caps in that circuit.Specially if they are violet sleeved.

8. avionic

Input Select switch may still have issues or bad solder connections.

9. avionic

10. skidmarks70

skidmarks70 New Member

Is there a trick to getting the cap off of the relay? I couldn't see how to get into it to clean anything. I haven't taken apart the selector switches, but did hose them down and cycle them a bunch. Seems unlikely that both switches would have the same issue in just the left channel.

The relay does have 4 violet sleeved caps nearby. I haven't checked to see what they're apart of. I may have some replacements for those.

11. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

classic relay fault . dirty contacts or bad soldering .

12. avionic

13. skidmarks70

skidmarks70 New Member

Well, I tapped on the relay a bunch and now things are working. I think you guys have this figured. I'll check out that other thread later and see if I can't clean this thing up.

Thanks! You guys definitely know your stuff

14. Chaulk61

Chaulk61 New Member

I have similar issue with a cr 820 I just got. Distortion in right speaker. Very noticeable using aux and tape inputs, a little less with phono and hardly noticeable using tuner. Distortion goes away using headphones if both a and b speakers are turned off. The unit is very clean inside and I have cleaned the volume, balance, selector switches. I have also tried tapping the relay to no avail. Any suggestions?

15. avionic

Deoxit all your switches and controls first.

16. skidmarks70

skidmarks70 New Member

The noise came back on mine after a bit and tapping wasn't doing much. I still haven't gotten the cap off, but I reflowed all the solder connections on the relay and I haven't had a problem since. I think replacing or cleaning the relay is probably going to be necessary. I'm actually thinking about drilling a hole in the top of the cap and blasting it with Deoxit and then putting tape over the hole, since I don't have any scrap metal around to make shuckers. But I'm going to give it some time and see if it behaves first!

17. Chaulk61

Chaulk61 New Member

Will do. I am a rookie at this - is there a way to clean the push button switches without taking the switches apart? Spray deoxit in from the front?

18. avionic

Its a crap shoot if you don't.

19. Chaulk61

Chaulk61 New Member

Does this relay look new?

Attached Files:

20. avionic

Can't tell for sure..