CR-620 No Lamps - Any source for LEDs?

frikinelmo

Is there a source to purchase LEDs for a CR-620? I can find standard replacement lamps, but would love to update to a blue or green.

I'd be glad to build them myself, but have no experience adding the proper resistance etc. I'd need idiot resistant plans.

Use leds with wide beam angle. You will need to add a diode if the lamps are AC.

I've done many LED upgrades on Yamaha gear. Also the CR-620.

Here's an color / brightness impression of a CR-800 with the same LEDs and same resistors that I used for the CR-620: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/led-upgrade-yamaha-cr-800-receiver.706693/

Be aware: in the CR-620 the lights are wired in series, so or: you wire every LED in parallel with each a restistor in series, or you wire them in series with one resistor in series. For both there's a different resistance calculation needed: parallel and in series

Use leds with wide beam angle. You will need to add a diode if the lamps are AC.

The lights in a CR-620 have a DC voltage. But why a use a diode when AC? The LED is already a diode. When you have AC voltage (like in some older Yamaha tuners), you'll need a small brigde rectifier to rectify and a capacitor to smoothen out the gaps between the + sinusses and the collapsed - sinusses.

I run LED piolet lites right off the 6.3vac filament winding of the PT without a diode
and do not have any flicker.

I run LED piolet lites right off the 6.3vac filament winding of the PT without a diode
and do not have any flicker.

The problem is not the flicker. Most LEDs have an absolute maximum reverse voltage of 5V but some have less. It's better to add a diode in series with it to prevent damage. A reverse shunt diode would also work well.

When you have AC voltage (like in some older Yamaha tuners), you'll need a small brigde rectifier to rectify and a capacitor to smoothen out the gaps between the + sinusses and the collapsed - sinusses.

The diode is a half wave rectifier, it's more simple than a bridge, but without a capacitor you will have more flicker.

LED's connected to an AC supply will ALLWAYS flicker... with AC current, the LED is reversed biased 1/2 the time. This means that they are OFF for 1/2 of each cycle. As a result, they flicker at a 60hz rate. Not very noticeable unless your eyes are sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom