Cr-800

sstring

Greetings All;

Can anyone tell me if a CR-800 Receiver has a lighted Tuning Dial. I have check the service manual and I can't find any sign of dial lights.

Also I find that the sound seems a little "thin" compared to my Pioneer SX-737. What would be considered a normal setting position for the Loudness control for average listening levels?

Thanks

The "Indicator" is illuminated. The thing that moves along the dial as you tune.

The Loudness Control should be set at zero. You first set the volume you like, and then the "loudness" can be adjusted is you need to "listen quietly".

Sounding "thin" hasn't been a problem with my CR-800.

There's a lamp in the dial pointer, no backlighting.

Look at the top of the forum for the Yamaha Literature sticky, the manual, or one from a similar receiver will explain how to use the variable loudness contour found on many Yamaha pieces.

Thank for the info.

On my CR-800 the 2 tuning meters and the dial pointer are not illuminated. Guess I will have to remove the case.

Going by memory, but I don't believe the meters were illuminated either. If you're going to take it out of the case, remember to set tuning to far right of dial so that cord does not catch on the metal 'clip' inside the case...

Going by memory, but I don't believe the meters were illuminated either. If you're going to take it out of the case, remember to set tuning to far right of dial so that cord does not catch on the metal 'clip' inside the case...

The meters should be illuminated. On mine I found the bulbs had been overheated and burned out. I replaced them with LEDs, which is easier on the CR-800 as it uses DC for those bulbs.

Just to corroborate, the two tuning meters should light, and the moving pointer of the dial should also light. The slide rule tuning scale does not light.

The moving pointer has a tiny bulb in it that requires great delicacy to remove. A little bit of penetrating oil on the two tiny phillips screws, and an exact fit on the screwdriver head, is highly recommended.

My CR-800 all lit up.
watermark.php

Thanks for the tip on the pointer bulb removal and the CR-800 photo. I now know exactly how it should look. I am in Canada and I will check an electrical supply house in Vancouver to see if they have the LCD's or bulbs. The previous posting on the CR-820 light replacement was most helpful as well.

Cheers

Actually Grain of Wheat size, or T1-1/4. You need to be careful with the three lamps around the meters. The holders were originally soft rubber glued to the back of the meter housing. Over the years the rubber got hard and the glue soft. Pulling out the lamps will sometimes dislodge the holders, Gel type cyanoacrylate glue will stick them back.

Back
Top Bottom