CR-80D-SS is a continual evolution

The GXR-82D is the best sounding 8 track deck I've ever heard. Cross talk can sometimes be a problem, but when properly aligned the sound is excellent. It seems to get more detail out of the recording than the other Akais I've heard and own. The CR-81D comes very close tho, even without the glass heads used in the 82D.
I did an A/B with the Roberts, and yes there's an audible differance in pitch/speed when switched back and forth. Sure hope it's the belt and not something going in the power supply or motor! I actually sold my extra 82D a few months ago, and they both tested fine at that time.

The Akai 8 tracks are the best I have ever heard the format do. Properly aligned with a good tape, you're almost in cassette territory with one of these comparing the same in the same era. Excellent decks. If these had been available sooner, the 8 track medium would have been much more respected. If improved tape had come with these, cassettes would have been a tougher sell.

That's the next deck I'm going to pick up. Butni guess theres only one place to get it... EBay.

I just hope all goes well with my cr-80d-ss. I'll let everyone know when the parts arrive.

:stupid: Heh, heh well sonny I didnt get this plaino 2-channel Stereo Akai CR-81D from eBlah... found it at a thrift store years ago for five dollars. Wasnt treated too nicely either but the damn thing just keeps on going :beerchug:

akai81d.jpg

I really like my CR-81D, bought it new when I was in HS. Probably one of the best 8 track decks ever made. Not quite up to the sonics of the CR-82D, but less prone to cross-talk, which the 82D glass heads can produce if not properly aligned.

UPDATE: The Sanyo Chip came in the mail today... If all goes well I will replace that tomorrow. The new transistors should be in tomorrow or Monday and Ill put those in too if the sanyo chip isn't the problem.

Wish me luck! This is my first REAL repair project.

Well, I replaced the sanyo chip, and all I have to say is:

SUCCESS!!!

All four channels work as they should, I think the switches on the inside may need to e adjusted, but I can do that by ear. I ordered the transistors for nothing but that's okay, I'll keep them around for parts.

Maybe I'll even install LED's or Lights for the VU meters!

I can now say I love my CR-80D-SS. It's by far the cleanest sounding deck I have ever heard or owned, now I just need to get a GXR-82D for my stereo tapes, because I have it hooked up to a modern Sony STR-DE985 receiver via the multi channel inputs, so if I play a stereo tape in it, the music will only play out of the front speakers, wheras a Stereo deck hooked up regular will be played through all speakers.
I want to thank everyone who replied to this thread! I could not have done this without you guys. I really do appreciate it!

Thats great you got it back up to spec!

Theres another one of these colossal decks on the Bay now and its over $200.

I like my CR-81D but I really dont play 8tracks but every Blue Moon. :drool:

SUCCESS!!!

All four channels work as they should, I think the switches on the inside may need to e adjusted, but I can do that by ear. I ordered the transistors for nothing but that's okay, I'll keep them around for parts.

I can now say I love my CR-80D-SS. It's by far the cleanest sounding deck I have ever heard or owned, now I just need to get a GXR-82D for my stereo tapes, because I have it hooked up to a modern Sony STR-DE985 receiver via the multi channel inputs, so if I play a stereo tape in it, the music will only play out of the front speakers, wheras a Stereo deck hooked up regular will be played through all speakers.
I want to thank everyone who replied to this thread! I could not have done this without you guys. I really do appreciate it!

And to think a week ago you wanted to take it outside and twat it with a hammer-im glad I was there to offer a little advice at that point!

Glad to hear that it's working again.:banana: Don't feel bad about ordering the transistors. I ordered two of the Sanyo chips for mine. One for a spare and it ended up being the transistors. In the end, I was happy that it worked anyway.

Which switches do you think need adjusted? Those record switches on the preamp board are a little tricky to put back in place properly and I was wondering how you did with them.

I have a GXR-82D that plays well, but doesn't have enough gain in the record section. I ordered some new transistors for it, but am not sure that they are the problem. I will be looking at it one of these days. I don't really do any recording to 8-track, but would be nice if it worked right.

I think all 8 of them. I matched them up to the position they're shown in the service manual. I'm mainly concerned about the playback as I won't be doing many recordings on this deck, but it seems to be okay, it's just a little off.

I'll probably record something and play it back, and watch the VU meters and see if they're allmoving about the same.

A post to an old thread, but one I feel to be relevant. I have 2 CR80 D-SS units here. Both are the deck only, without the STK based amp built in. One is made by AKAI, the other wearing Roberts on its face plate. Both are identical , down to the board level and component selection. They seem to share the common problem, of channel 3 dropping out or loosing gain altogether.

Just as the OP's deck did, as well as some other poster(s), Channel 3 (Left Rear) on both my decks has little or no sound or amplification. Probing transistors TR1 and TR2, the voltages are way off on BCE on channel 3 (Left Rear). The other channels 3 TR 1 and 2 check out matching the SM voltages. The Sanyo LD3141 voltages are also correct on channel 3 as well as the other 3, but they are know to be problematical. I have a dozen NOS here I picked up before prices went crazy. I'll try one of them as well. Transistors 1 and 2 are identical 2sc458's, even though the schematic shows another number. Al 4 channels have them on TR 1 and 2, they are well-known offenders. I keep 200 replacement KSC1845FTA's in stock. They are commonly found, failed with black corroded legs. 1970's SS gear is full of them, Japanese or American, no pattern to the model or brand, every other unit, sometimes every unit I'm inside has them. This is why I keep 200 on hand at all times.

I replaced all the electrolytics everywhere on every card, plus the main filter caps, power supply, and all auxiliary function boards, including and the motor run cap. All caps used were either Nichicon or Panasonic, with Muse or Audio grade 105c caps for all audio and other boards. All caps are low ESR, with high current ripple in the power supply areas. The noise floor and other ancillary noise dropped considerably from the original caps, I'd be willing to bet that the S-N ratio is well below the original numbers, thanks to tighter tolerance better performance components used in already well designed circuits. The 8 Varistors are the only things I am considering replacing going forward. They are carbon and plastic el-cheapo pots that no amount of deoxit will quiet or remove drop outs. 8 multi turn Bourns Cermet replacements in the correct resistance ranges are being considered.The heads and transport have been rebuilt, the AC motor serviced, new lubricants thru out. The heads are mercifully still un-molested. The factory adjustment loctite unbroken. As far as head wear, both heads are like new after a considerable cleaning then polish.No phase or crosstalk issues are present, all specifications checked during calibration after service meet and exceed those specified in the manua. All in all a tidy and quite respectable piece of audio gear once completed.

In case there is any doubt, let me dispel it now. Changing out all the old caps with audio grade 105c low ESR name brands, plus replacing the 4 channel pairs of 2Sc458's, AND the failed Sanyo LD3141(s) gets you THE BEST sounding playing or recording 8 track player ever made, bar none. ThIs model Akai ans Roberts are considered by many others in the industry to be the Nakamichi Dragon of 8-Track players. Research it yourself if you don't believe me, I didn't give them that name. Regarded as the ultimate 8 track deck to use, by those in the business of performing archive, or professional transfer, and duplication services. The better houses, even Library of Congress have and use them, or want them when they do 8 track work.

If you are an 8 track fan, there is no better 2 track (Stereo) or 4 track (Quadraphonic-Discrete) 8-track unit to own, with the added benefit of being able to record, with 4 microphone, single ended, or using 2 DIN plugs, with line level controls, discrete VU meters and more. I came across both by a happy accident, a client had one and found another for parts. I ended up restoring both, and gaining new respect for 8 track, which I considered a marginal format in my classic car at best. With a wide frequency response, a well designed AC powered motor, precision transport and more ,the resulting sound of a decent pre recorded or self recorded tape in the unit or recorded from a good source is jaw droppingly good. Why? Not because it's a record breaker for tape, but because it's 8 track and respectfully close to 20khz on the top end. Quad discrete tapes in good condition 'SOUND" as good as their open pre recorded reel counterpart cousins do. If you find decent Maxell or similar blank tapes, and record on them from a modern CD, high resolution files, even a good LP to tape, the results are worth noting,...hell actually toe tappingly good. Better than many of the cassette decks in that period or any other were. Certainly all the 8 track record decks I owned as a youth in the late 60's and early 70's or had in cars didn't hold a candle to this one..

Before I return these decks to their owner, I'm buying more blank Maxell or decent brand tapes. That way, I can record entire CDs of albums to tape and make mix tapes, plenty of both for taking on trips, to car shows or whenever driving my old car, which still has it's 8-track 4 channel stereo AM-FM 40-Channel CD factory in dash unit. I've also added another deck to my bucket list, something fun, and 8 btracks are dirt cheap hear abouts. After you replace the splice, the foam pads or felt guides, maybe add some food-grade silicone if its tight, your ready to rock. I have Kiss's Double Platinum rocking , something if found cheapo in the shrink, and it sounds, well good, and fun. If you can find one of these for the right price in decent physical condition and like 8 track, get it. Then have it recapped and tweaked. It's, well fun, and sounds better that 8 track has any right to, especially the 8 track sound and ker-chunk of tape eating rejects most of us remember.

SUCCESS!!!

Hello, I was wondering if you installed lights to your deck? I would like to install led lighting , but I need a tutorial on how this is done. I have looked online with no luck.

You need to rectify the voltage and use a resistor to step the voltage down in most cases. A diode is used to rectify and will prevent the LED's from blinking. The resistor steps down the voltage to what LED's specify. I have not done a LED conversion for the CR80D-SS, and don't remember which bulbs are in it stock. A look at the schematics will tell you where to install the resistor and diode(s). Some Ohms Law applied will tell you what resistance you need and the wattage of the resistor(s). I assume you are looking at doing the meters.

Depending on how the track lamps circuit is designed, you may have to install a diode and resistor for each track lamp LED, unless they use a standard bulb type (not likely) you can buy with the LED resistor and diode as an assembly.

Down the road I may do the LED modification on the one here, but currently I still have way much work on my plate to revisit the CR80D-SS, which in my case still needs finishing touches and buttoning up. It may need a head, as the current one is somewhat iffy. There should be threads on implementation and installing LED lamps in place of the stock incandescent bulbs.

After reading this entire thread, I can only say that I am impressed with the results you guys got from the 8-track medium with this particular machine, and the title of the thread should be changed!

Back
Top Bottom