CR-820 + CDP-302 + Monitor 7B = Jazz!

B3Nut

tubes and spinny things!
Dug the old CDP-302 (a $17.50 St. Vinnie's find IIRC) out of the basement and plopped it in the outside-the-bedroom system (little sitting area between the hall and the bedroom, like an alcove-ish spot.) Spun a little Monk, and spun some organ as well...Daniel Roth plays the Cavaille-Coll at St. Ouen (JAV hybrid SACD.) Nice Sunday morning listen, though I wonder how the 7B's would improve if I recapped them as they're bone stock (holey Peerless tweeters.)

Deuce the Pitdork even got into the mood... ;)

Todd in Cheesecurdistan, getting ready to head to the Sunday afternoon gig at Fins in Newville...

Attachments

• cr820_cdp302_050.jpg
    cr820_cdp302_050.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 38
  • cr820_cdp302_051.jpg
    cr820_cdp302_051.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 36
The CDP-302 is one of my favorites. It has the BU-1 transport and the functions are relay operated so you get a click when working the controls. Maybe today's DA chips are better but on vintage amps, the 302 is just fine. I'm not much of a fan of Yamaha receivers or Polk speakers.

The CDP-302 is one of my favorites. It has the BU-1 transport and the functions are relay operated so you get a click when working the controls. Maybe today's DA chips are better but on vintage amps, the 302 is just fine. I'm not much of a fan of Yamaha receivers or Polk speakers.

I don't know about the Yamaha/Polk viewpoint, my CR 2040/Monitor 10 combo really sounds quite good in my Vintage Rig. The Peerless tweeter with the hole in it is a very good sounding unit IMHO
Regards,
Jim

Really like the CR-820!

I have a CR-1020 and love mine. Have it hooked up to a set of JBLs.

Those are leftover spikes from a pair of speaker stands that got broken. They were the only thing I had laying around to lift the player off the Yamaha so as to not block the vents. Ended up working out really well. I need to relamp the Yamaha, none of the lights work. It needs to come apart for a DeOxIt bath anyway. I like this setup, it works really well. :)

TP

I don't know about the Yamaha/Polk viewpoint, my CR 2040/Monitor 10 combo really sounds quite good in my Vintage Rig. The Peerless tweeter with the hole in it is a very good sounding unit IMHO
Regards,
Jim

Many folks here (me among them) are extremely pleased with the Yamaha/Polk synergy. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it has been my go-to combo for a while now. I have the 7b and the 12's in two different rigs right now, actually prefer the 7's. When in the mood for concert level volumes I usually opt for a different rig, but for every day listening you can't beat it (IMO)
Glad to hear you are digging yours.

I have a CR-800 COOR (currently out of rotation) and a set of 7As with the peerless tweets, I`ll have to set that combo up sometime this summer.

I have my CR-2020 driving Polk 7Bs (also Peerless) and a CR-800 driving Polk 10Bs. Now if that sounds backwards it is because the only spot left for speakers in the Family Room was on top of a pair of wall units. I was 59 when I put them up there 20 years ago, damned if I can lift them down now, and I sure can't put the 10Bs up there.:D

Back
Top Bottom