CR1020 repair - main pot

SimonPenny

Hi all
my beloved CR1020 has had an intermittent faulty for several years. One channel drops out. I've isolated this to the main pot - I believe. Turning it up to full volume on the 'out' channel would pop it back into normal functioning - while almost blowing out the speakers :(. Spraying it with deoxit fixed it for a while. Tell me if my diagnosis is poor. Now one side seems to have dropped out for good. I recall doing some research and could not find a replacement pot - its a 3 pot unit. Any suggestions much appreciated.
thanks

Hi all
my beloved CR1020 has had an intermittent faulty for several years. One channel drops out. I've isolated this to the main pot - I believe. Turning it up to full volume on the 'out' channel would pop it back into normal functioning - while almost blowing out the speakers :(. Spraying it with deoxit fixed it for a while. Tell me if my diagnosis is poor. Now one side seems to have dropped out for good. I recall doing some research and could not find a replacement pot - its a 3 pot unit. Any suggestions much appreciated.
thanks
Sounds more like a protect relay contacts or the speaker select switch.. Another trouble prone switch is the coupler switch on the rear panel.

Last edited:
Try to power it up normally. Adjust to a normal listening level slowly. Now.. tap on the ice cube relay on the power supply board with the handle end of a screwdriver The power supply board is top front left. See if you can get the missing channel to pop in and out while gently tapping on the relay.

Try to power it up normally. Adjust to a normal listening level slowly. Now.. tap on the ice cube relay on the power supply board with the handle end of a screwdriver The power supply board is top front left. See if you can get the missing channel to pop in and out while gently tapping on the relay.

Thanks for those tips! And thanks for responding so quickly. Will do. I know the ways of corroded relay contacts :)

I know this is off topic, but you started it :)
As an expatriate Australian, I know only a l little of the story of the battles by native Americans against Spanish, Mexican and American invaders.
No offense meant, could you explain the reference?

Hoping you have good luck finding the issue.. Cochise was and apache chief that didn't give up without a fight.

Back
Top Bottom