crackling sound with woofer

maff

I have a pair or Paradigm Model 5SE speakers.

The speakers were fine then one day I started hear a crackling sound from the woofer inone of the speakers.

The crackling soundsis only produced at a certain low freequency it seems.

The receiver that i have the speakers hooked up to is a kinda low end receiver.

I hooked the speakers to a couple of higher end receiver and i do not hear the crackling sound. But with some other receivers I still hear the sound.

Anyone have any ideas?
And could the woofer be repaired.

It sounds like you've cooked the voice coil. Repair is probably not an option as this woofer has a cast basket. Replacement cost for a Paradigm woofer isn't outrageous.

Mike

Oh if your in Canada its even nicer. If you bought them from a local dealer just inquire there about the replacement cost. If you didn't buy them there you could visit paradigms website and ask them directly. How large is this "woofer" anyway? If i remember correctly the 5SE's weren't very large and required stands.

Mike

Last edited:
the speakers have a 8 inch woofer. I asked paradigm directly once and they told me to ask my local dealer.

I would love to find a deal on a new receiver and a bigger pair of speakers also

Yeah a lot of companies don't want to invade on their dealers profit margins by selling direct to the consumer. I guess you have no choice but to ask the dealer. My best guess is 1 8" woofer shouldn't be more than $150 CAN. Thats for just the raw driver if you need someone else to install it that would of course cost more.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom