Craig's list warning

Based on my knowledge of pay pal (and from other member posts in this thread) i believe his strategy is to get you send a pay pal payment using friends and family which you lose your protection with pay pal. This guy probably evaluates which person responds to him with a payment option that he can exploit. If he does not like how you want to pay for his false then he won't answer you back. The to good to be true low price and great looking popular models he uses is the bait. Glad members are aware of his %$^&&***!!!!

I sell stereo gear on CL from time to time, and it is always hooked up and able to be demo'd. I typically give a warranty as well.

I'm not sure where you live or if you use CL much bit the situation I describe is a reality. If you don't believe me, try contacting CL sellers and offering to pay via PayPal. Have you actually bought much locally on CL using PayPal?
I found most CL people don't want to use Paypal because they generally are not trust worthy or have no credit. I avoid CL at all costs anymore its a haven for frauds and scams

I found most CL people don't want to use Paypal because they generally are not trust worthy or have no credit. I avoid CL at all costs anymore its a haven for frauds and scams
Or, they just don't don't feel like being dicked around by someone who comes down with buyer's remorse/didn't clear it with the wife/wanted something for nothing/etc.

Another thing to consider are CL sellers that insist on meeting in places where you can't test their merchandise to make sure it actually is functional. A few days ago I spotted a DVD burner on the local CL for an average price then made an offer on it. The seller began playing games when it came time for the sale. He said he was "afraid of being robbed" even though it's only a $15 item then claimed it was an open box item he'd never tried but "should work". Robbed for $15??? I have brought Mr. Ruger along for a few far more expensive deals but anybody that claims they don't even have a telephone is somebody to be avoided. Honest folks don't play games or attempt to hide their true identities.

Haha...thanks for posting that. My guy's name is Richard instead, but same phone number, but his Paypal account is Dave. What nerve!!!

Since you now have his real Paypal address I highly recommend you report him to PayPal as a scammer. Maybe even point them to this thread so they can shut down his account.

The reason you as a seller don't accept PayPal for an in person transaction is because its way to easy for the buyer to file a claim and get their money back. The only time I accept PayPal for an in person transaction is if a) they aren't just some random stranger and b) they pay with friends and family (which gives them no buyer protection). As I (and others) have said previously in this thread, when I sell in person its as-is, where-is. Any buyer who doesn't get that is going to be a problem one way or another. Not wanting to use PayPal for an in person transaction is just being smart. It is not an indicator of being untrustworthy or not having credit. As a seller, you would be a fool to let some stranger walk off with your merchandise while also having an easy way to reverse the payment (such as paypal).

This scammer has been at it for years. I first noticed an ad a few years ago which had a pic from a recent eBay sale. Anyway, you’ll never be able to demo his stuff because it’s all fictitious. He always has great stuff for around $300. It was his fathers. Blah blah blah.

Too much ($700) to be a Dave listing.

OK. Reason I asked is the display looks blue, and in the same CL spot there was also a Pioneer reel to reel advertised today for cheap ($40, not working) which is now gone. A Pioneer RTR was mentioned as a scam in another thread. Thought maybe they went together.

I've seen a lot of Dave posts, most are at $300. Just enough to get that cash, but low enough LEO doesn't blink.

If they respond to a request for a time and place to demo, then they are normally legit.

Just a heads up, a poster from the Maryland area will post a nice looking serviced 2270 with a wood case for around $300. This is a scam. The posters name is usually Dave. The same person has also posted Pioneer SX receivers.

The other day I saw a 2270 champagne engraved unit in Yuma, New Mexico for $325. It was also from Dave. I contacted him and told him i was a interested real person in the unit who was also a detective. Suddenly the post was deleted. Thought I smelled a rat! Be careful of scams.
thx for the heads up,you really the soul of a team player.

Back
Top Bottom