Craigslist flagging?

superjojo

Can someone explain how the CL flagging thing works?

I saw a listing this morning and went back later to view it again and it said flagged for removal. However, there was nothing wrong with the listing that would constitute flagging.

I then tried to flagging another listing to see if it would disappear like the other one but all that did was hide it from my view and put it into a trash can on the top.

So how does it work?

Listings can be removed but it takes more then 1 flagger to get them removed not sure on how many times it takes or how many people need to flag it but a bunch of times I think. I have flagged the hell out of things before and they were still there hours or days later.

Regards Snow

is the X next to the photo the way to "flag" things? All I am seeing is that it goes up to the trashcan on top that says "hidden"...

There should be a box that says Prohibited at the top of the listing click it to flag.

Regards Snow

Can someone explain how the CL flagging thing works?

I saw a listing this morning and went back later to view it again and it said flagged for removal. However, there was nothing wrong with the listing that would constitute flagging.

I then tried to flagging another listing to see if it would disappear like the other one but all that did was hide it from my view and put it into a trash can on the top.

So how does it work?

I've noticed the same thing.
If I flag (check prohibited) an item, it then disappears from my view and then a little dealie-doo at the top says x items hidden.
Maybe that's so you, or me, or whoever doesn't keep flagging the same item? Can't flag it if you can't see it...just a theory.
As Snow mentioned, most times it takes more than 1 flagging to make an ad be deleted.

As for why it was "flagged for removal", any of these in the ad....
Was it a multiple listing (sometimes it "sticks" and accidentally posts an item two or three times)?
If same item gets getting posted two or three times in a row for more than a day or two the "accidental" multiple posting doesn't seem as likely and may indicate user trying to make multiple listings of the same item on purpose.
Someone constantly posting the same item day after day after day and not removing the previous listing?
Full of keyword spam?
No price listed, or taking offers?

Another possibility is jerks with the same items deliberately trying to get other sellers' ads deleted.

I flag ads I see in the wrong section - like for-sale ads in Wanted for example. Half the time I think it must be an accident on the part of the seller, and I figure that if I had posted my mower for sale in Furniture I'd want to know about it, so I flag em.

I've been flagging a big and repetitive string of CL ads hawking shop lights.

They have a huge keyword spam section that someone has clearly put a lot of effort into.

I wonder, does someone or a group of people go in and repost those ads regularly, or is there some sort of automated/program that will just keep hammering out those types of ads?

It doesn't. I've flagged ads dozens of times a day for weeks because they keep showing up on my RS feed because of dozens of spam keywords and they don't get removed.

I get to enjoy MRG trolling craigslist in my area (even though he's over 200miles away in Indy), and flag his ads when I see 'em. Many of these ads have people's names and contact information in them, ... or his years-old ads for his Marantz 4400 with no price, etc. They're a violation for out of area among other things.

So I see them, I flag them.

Usually if I see a particularly offensive ad (names etc.) I will flag them from several IP addresses, about the third or fourth one will take it down. It helps that every stereophile within 1,000miles knows his game also and will flag his "ads".

Its funny there is a self moderation system in place for simple things like misclassification of items, keyword search abuse or multiple posts......... yet they allow catogories where you can hire a prostitute to urinate in your mouth.

flagging is for those with idol time on their hands. Pointless... Move on and smell the roses I say!!

That's...not how a self-moderating community works.

I've been flagging a big and repetitive string of CL ads hawking shop lights.

They have a huge keyword spam section that someone has clearly put a lot of effort into.

I wonder, does someone or a group of people go in and repost those ads regularly, or is there some sort of automated/program that will just keep hammering out those types of ads?

I've been flagging those bloody ads all the time, too. Along with several others that spam things like restaurant equipment and used work trucks across a wide geographic area.

We get all of those ads here, the shop lights, restaurant equipment, lunch catering trucks, and storage trailers. Must be one helluva network to be spamming those things daily across the entire country! "Amplifier" brings up most of them for some reason.

As far as flagging requiring "idol" time, it's a click and I think I can afford to click the box before I close the ad for a 4400 or 2330 that I know isn't really for sale.

Back
Top Bottom