Craigslist Smaller Advent Loudspeakers

WickedSharp

Scratchy and crunchy is how I like it
Stumbled upon these for $20. I emailed and said I could come right over.

One grill was clean, the other was stained. I used the last of some old linen I had and did them over.
The color is not right but they look really good. The originals were stapled. I used "quick grab" glue from Michael's.

IMG_2444.JPG IMG_2446.JPG

Now, check this out:

IMG_2448.JPG

What's up with that? My "+" lead goes to one side of the fuse and the other goes to the "+" binding post? What value fuse would go there?

The surrounds are not original. Looks like someone cut a 10" one down to make it fit the 9" woofer. Doesn't look too bad.

I haven't hooked them up yet. The plan will be to put them in the office with a small integrated + DAC connected to the PC.

Some previous owner added the fuse holder for added protection, but I wouldn't know what the correct fuse value would be. You can ignore it, or if you wish to include a fuse, locate the original user documents for the Smaller Advent - - info on fusing is pretty easy to find on the web for the Original (Large) Advent, but not so easy to locate for the Smaller.

Fuses are pretty useless. Use judgement...... much more reliable.

But a pretty nice find, even before seeing pics of the drivers.
I would very much like to have a pair.

Enjoy them !

Drivers:

IMG_2454.JPG IMG_2455.JPG IMG_2452.JPG

Tweeters indicate Feb 1973

What are your thoughts on the refoam job that was done previously? I'm inclined to leave it.

Last edited:
My Smaller Advents do not have the fuse holder. I've never seen a pair with fuse holders.

Some previous owner added the fuse holder for added protection, but I wouldn't know what the correct fuse value would be. You can ignore it, or if you wish to include a fuse, locate the original user documents for the Smaller Advent - - info on fusing is pretty easy to find on the web for the Original (Large) Advent, but not so easy to locate for the Smaller.

The fuse holders were added by a previous owner. I fused my stacked double Advents for years per the manufacturers recommendation.

Great fusing info from LesE.....thanks!

Your green (early) tweeter dates are accurate; later they switched to the red/orange tweeter. If you cannot detect any performance problems with the re-foam job, I'd tend to agree with you to leave them alone. However, three things stand out to me. First, I've never seen a foam surround with such a wide outer flange .... not that it necessarily matters. Second, it's hard to tell from your pics, but the inner circumference flange of the foam is meant to be located under the woofer cone. And third, that splice joint indicates that a larger diameter foam was cut down to fit this unique woofer size.

But if it sounds OK to you, just leave it all and enjoy your speakers. However, if it has not happened already, you might consider replacing the original capacitors.

Yes, capacitors...
I just tested the speakers and discovered neither tweeter is producing sound. Now I understand the low price!

So, now I have a new project!
If I'm lucky, I'll get sound after the recap. If not, I'll search for some replacements.

If I'm digging in, I'll also think about re-doing the woofer surround, although they sounded good.

Source for proper smaller Advent surrounds?
How about ideas for removing the ones that are there now?
What to use when re-sealing them into the cabinet?

Aren't you glad you responded??

I didn't try putting a fuse in. That would suggest that there is wiring on the inside that connects to the fuse holder?

Right, I'll put a fuse in and test.

*** But the fuse holder seems extremely basic and isolated from everything. It's purpose is to allow addition of fuse in-line between the amplifier and the external binding post of the speaker. I don't see how putting a fuse in could/would impact the tweeter.

Back
Top Bottom