Craigslist Smaller Advent Loudspeakers

Yep, off to a great start! Please offer a few details on application sequence and steps for veneer pieces. Thanks.

I'm happy to share how I do it, but please know I'm no expert at veneering. I've only done one other pair of speakers and through trial and error this is what I settled on

I bought a glue bottle with a roller on the end from Rockler. I don't put glue in it though. I just squirt glue directly on the surface and then spread it with the roller.

IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2594.JPG

As far as the order of construction goes:

I do the inside lip, which you won't see when the grills are attached, first.
Then I do Bottom, Sides and top.
Then the front edges last.

Once glue dries, lay the veneer on the speaker. You can move it around no problem because the glue is dry.
I then put a t-shirt over it and hit it with a hot dry iron.

IMG_2595.JPG

Then trim using chisel

IMG_2597.JPG

I have some blocks of hardwood that a glue sandpaper to (spray adhesive). I use that to finish the edges. It's easy to do on the first piece, but takes more finesse once two planes have veneer on them

IMG_2598.JPG

I guess I did not know that Titebond II was heat sensitive and could be used like this:
1. Glue rolled out on both surfaces.
2. Allow glue to dry fully.
3. Position veneer on substrate.
4. Cover with soft fabric and apply heat from dry iron.

Is that correct? If so, what temperature setting?

So this one is done except for the front edging. Lighting is bad in the basement, but I wanted to show the edge you can get with a sharp chisel.
I'll try to get the other done tomorrow. Next photos will be next week when I start oil application.

IMG_2606.JPG

Correct! I set the iron between cotton and linen.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Can you apply the glue too all sides at once so that you can move through the project faster?

Could you just use a router with a trim bit to clean the excess veneer of the edges rather than a chisel?

I never tried gluing it all at once. Seems possible though.
I've read that many people DO use routers for the trimming step. I kind of like getting in there with hand tools though.

Get an old block of wood and veneer it to test your ideas before going at your prized speakers though!

Final piece of edging going on...

IMG_2609.JPG

First coat of Tung Oil. Now we wait....

IMG_2610.JPG

FYI, I bought the Peruvian Walnut veneer (10 mil paper backed) off of the auction site. I'm sure it was scrap from a larger order. It was 12" x 97", 2pcs. Seller was jdcveneer. I used Walnut from Rockler before and I'll say this stuff is nice, and easier to work with. I don't know if it's because of the type of wood, or because of the supplier, but I will buy like this again if I ever do more speakers (my Rectilinears??).

Looking really good. I'd like to do that with my Smaller Advents, but there's too many projects ahead of it....

Cool project - - Smaller Advent with real wood veneer. Very nice work.
It's hard to comment on the finish, but it looks to me like the wood is still a little thirsty and might benefit from some more oil.

These came out looking really pretty! But, they're sitting right next to the blasted Rectilinear XII's, which I cannot stop playing.

I think my library lends itself to 3-way ported speakers?? I don't know. But if I'm only taking one set with me to the deserted island, it's the XII's.

It's not a bad problem to have.
I'm about to plug some resurrected W60c's in for a critical listen in a couple of days too!

Nice job, this is how they should've rolled out of the factory. Their sound deserved a real wood veneered cabinet.

Older thread, but I wanted to say you did a great job on these.
Cheers, Glenn

Back
Top Bottom