Crankiing it?

When do you crank it 90+ DB's?

• Always, no matter the time.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Everyday, but have to respect the noise by-law.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Only when the wife/gf not home.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Only when nobody's home.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Only on weekends

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I never get to crank it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wireworm5

Audiophile
I guess I'm boosting but my typical music day I have the luxury of playing my rig at loud volumes even at night without bothering anyone. Last night I was spinning a remastered album and it was loud. I lowered it down 3 DB and the treble loses that holographic presence so back up 3 DB. Of coarse the volume varies depending on the quality of the recording, but in the end the db level remains relatively constant. So I'm listening to this album, does it ever sound good, I know its loud but how loud. So I pull out the SLM and its registering between 92 - 96 DB A weighted, 97 to 103 DB C weighted. Freak that's loud! And there's no cops at the door. The downside to this is that when it comes to critical listening I always need it loud to really enjoy the music.
So the question is, How many Akers have the luxury of playing their rig loud 90+ decibels without having someone complain?

The Misses is usually on the phone or because she's nurse (on call) has to be able to hear the phone ring.

So when she's not home, it's time to jam :guitar:

90db is fairly loud. I can hit peaks of around 95 before the amps start to sound strained. Room issues destroy clarity before that.

Weekends, as in Friday nights 6 to 8-8:30 and occasionally Saturday afternoons, out of courtesy to the neighbors. One still even complained the other week - the wanker!

Pete

I had to check "when no one is at home."
But my real answer is "not when the kids are in bed before a school day."

As I work second shift, most of my cranking is done around noon to pump me up for work.

I tend to get frightened before I can reach max volume anyway.

bolly said:
I don't have a SPL meter. :worried:
I do, but it's misplaced. :worried: Because of family, I don't really crank it anyways, except for occasional "testing" purposes. 90% of the time mine's at background levels in the evening. If my Yammi's power meters hit one watt (rarely) and my speaks are rated for 91db for one watt, then I'd have to say "twice a week or so". I really should find that meter...

Tom

In my new neighborhood all the time!! wether it's the main SPEC rig or the SA-9500 in the bedroom. I can jam louder here most definitely than the previous 'hood' I occupied. I do tend to lower it or shut it down by 10:00 pm tho. Since I am a new dweller don't want the locals to get on my bad side to quickly, yo kno ease em into submission before you pulverize em'!!! :thmbsp: :banana:

Don't want to highjack this thread but what really gets me steamed is the moron's who drive into the neighborhood with ther rigs cranked into the stratosphere heights pounding cRap noise at any hour 12:00 midnight, 2:00 am, 3:00 am with out any respect for others. They never have anyone (cops) bother them about that. But I have had cops at my door at my previous dwelling having complaints from some neighbors yet the same yocals with their pounding cRap garbage invade the 'hood' nightly without any consiqueince!! damnit!!! :cry: :worried:

Last edited:
How about:

"Sir, we've received some complaints regarding your music, right now we're just giving you a warning but if we have to come back out it'll be a real problem".

Pete

5 acre lot, 200'+ from street, 200'+ to nearest neighbor, a Wife that likes "Our" music at any volume that suits the "Mood". Play that funky music white boy as loud as you want...

CELT said:
There's an definately advantage to being single and living in your own house... :guitar:

Amen bro'!

I tend to start my critical listening sessions a bit on the tame side, say 80 to 85 dB, until I get the circuits cooking, then I may crank it to 90 to 95 for a short while. Listener fatigue sets in, I take a short break, and almost always turn it back down to the 80 to 85 range. I don't need tinnitus in my advancing years.

Last edited:
I live out in the sticks and my shop is far from the house so at 3.5 watts my Altecs are 95-102 db @ 3 meters. Measured with Mark B's instrument. I guess that's why I never bothered with a high powered amp. My MC-2505 is just idling along like that for 34 years now :)

Back
Top Bottom