Crap for a crap-ton!

Finally got around to installing that Sears/Audiovox NOS stereo this weekend. Here's a pic of it lit up and playing. It's not permanently wired yet - no speakers - but I hooked it up to some small Polks I had and it works, sounds okay and pulls in all the stations. The fit wasn't exact - the knobs only go so wide and the original AM radio was a wider unit. I had to use washers because the knucklehead owner before me cut the holes wider and this was the only way to keep the stereo on the front side of the dash. Also that extra hole atop the right side - there were three connectors on the original radio, one of which went through that hole. But it's close, fills the hole and looks somewhat period.
Toro Stereo 2.jpg

wow, for that kind of money i'd try to get my hands on one of the old concord stereos, those things were nice.

Took the words out of my mouth. Those Concorde stereos were nice and had a fair amount of power.... or you could run a separate power amp off them.

I remember taking the stereo out of my 66 Ford Falcon back in 1988 being my first car(free) I wanted a good sound. Man, that radio was bigger than I expected. Heavy too! (Once I put left over lasagna in the all steel black dash of the glove compartment on a 100° day. Went to the river and I had a warm meal by 3 pm.:D Went down good with a bottle of coke.)

Trust me that old AM is large and heavy. You'd have to take the dash out to get it in or out. It was in the trunk when I bought the car, so I really don't know if it would work or not. But I wasn't ever going to put it back in anyhow.

And I remember the Concordes. I looked but there were only ever one or two for sale, used. And I was really looking for something new-old. I could be wrong but I think they put those in 80s VWs.

This one rocks the house with 11 wpc, which actually is pretty high power for the time period. Depending on how I finish this, I still can hook a booster up to it - something like those old Kraco 40 wpc boosters - I'm not after the best in sound just something somewhat more period and workable. Interesting, there are no speaker cutouts in the rear deck. There's one speaker in the middle of the back seats - sort of a cutout area - and one in the middle of the dash. I can't remember if there are round holes in the doors since I haven't had the panels off in so long. So I may have to go total old school and get those Pioneer box speakers or something. NOS preferably so it may take awhile.

I love the old Toronado's. I always thought they looked evil, but in a good way.
My uncle owned a Toro...not sure which year but could have been a '67. For some reason I was terrified of him and the car. :D No idea why! He was always the "cool" uncle who always had the new Oldsmobiles every two or three years. I still remember the '73. Red, with the gold dash inside. My cousin stuck a Radio Shack combo 8-track/cassette under-dash unit in there.
Interesting, there are no speaker cutouts in the rear deck. There's one speaker in the middle of the back seats - sort of a cutout area - and one in the middle of the dash. I can't remember if there are round holes in the doors since I haven't had the panels off in so long.
I am thinking this age of car might be prior to the era of having left and right speakers in cars. Hence the single front and rear speakers. That could have started once they began putting FM stereo radios into the cars. Just a guess though.

Back
Top Bottom