Crappy ebay seller responses.

piece-it pete

What, me worry?
I've had a few, and wanted somewhere to pass them on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we not supposed to post actual names of sellers? So sadly the names have been changed to protect the guilty.

Anyway I've been looking for a decent copy of Zappas' "Apostrophe" and spots a white label demo on the bay. Since it was quite a bit more than I usually pay for lps', and he didn't say he rated similar to Goldmine, I sent him this query:

"Hello. I'm considering bidding on this lp, and wanted to know if you grade using Goldmine as your standard. Thanks, Pete AKA xxxxxxx".

BTW this guy sells all kinds of records.

I get this: "No I dont use goldmine standards I visually grade dont have time to audibly grade all these records IF you think there may be a grading dispute PLEASE DONT BID ON MY ITEMS LES XXXXXX"

WTF?!

I understand he's probably had problems but he can kiss my ass.

Pete

I have almost come to my limit with some of the "special needs" ebay crowd. One of my last sales included 23 emails prior to arrival. Which incedently, his package reached him within 3 buisness days of purchase..... :pistols:

Quite honestly

I don't have a problem with his response. Yes, he could have been more diplomatic and chose his wording better but I am assuming he does alot of volume selling and is not selling to the audiophile crowd. His response is just indicative that he doesn't want to have an issue if the quality isn't what you expected it to be and would be easier for him not to have you bid. He is assuming he will get other bids.

Me, I probably would have responded that "no" I do not use that standard but will look over the album and give you a more specific description on it's condition. That's me though.

I've only recently (2 months) started using Ebay and the percentage of assholes and less than truthful idiots is far worse than Craigslist. I'm almost at the point of no return.

I understand, as an ebay seller myself, what he was trying to do. I have had a great deal of success buying and selling on ebay, there is a lot of good folks out there.

But it sure shows what you can expect from this large record seller. And I forgot to mention, when I sent him a response, his email address did not accept emails.

Pete

I think I remember you... smoke filled balcony... a few gallons of beer... something about a giant pioneer... being beat up and having it stole from me by some big nascar/wrestling guy...

:D that was a good time.

I think my big problem with this seller was, I was disappointed.

Pete

bad enough that we expect to be treated the way we would treat others on epray I had a run in with the person selling the less then perfect Hpm 200's when i suggested his opening bid on his "storage bin fresh find" was a little high can't print it on a place like this with our higher moral practices

WhiteSE said:
...some people have the people skill of crayfish!

I PINCH!!!

Yeah, Pete's a mellow guy, sort of a human golden retreiver!

I too have had my share of sellers that communications skills sucked, or just rude. However I suspect that most of us, me included, don't have jobs that require us to enjoy the vast cross section called the general public.

Most retailers probably learn to skills needed to be successful, however E-bay lets Joe Public become a retailer without those skills. I've learned to deal with it and it many times makes me change my decision to bid or not, othertimes I might still bid but at least know up front that I may have to be dealing with a AH if problems arise.

Lefty

In general good people, good stuff. Bad people...over priced crap.

I bought a quad LP that was suppose to be in excellent shape. Side A was great, side B was scratchy as hell. I told the seller, he gave me a complete refund with his apologizes. I'm very impressed. He said he visually checks out the LPs and doesn't have time to listen to all of them. I still have side A. I've had other sellers give me partial refunds due to things being off a bit too.

So if you're going to buy stuff off eBay check out the gear but check out the seller thoroughly too. And don't take anything for granted. I recently bought a refurbished receiver and paid a premium from a seller whom I thought was upfront and reliable. Well...if you don't ask some people will never tell.

I'm glad we have AK as a forum to vent. I'm very similiar to you Pete. I like my questions to be treated and answered with respect. But it would be unrealistic for me to think this would always be the case. So 'tis good to let off a little steam about it here. Then move on to the folk more worthy of parting me and dollar. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom