Crating vs. Double Boxing?

totl

I have 2 large and heavy amplifiers that I need to ship through DHL international. One option is to double box them and one would be to have them crated. Is crating the safer option? Thanks so much for any help!!

If the crater does their job properly, crating will probably be the better (read more expensive) option. Has the person that would do the crating packed audio gear before?

Unfortunately no, I don't think they have experience with audio gear, but it is a packing and shipping place that has a machine that makes that new foam that surrounds things. They said they would first wrap the two amps, then use the foam, then a cardboard box, then more foam, and then the crate. It is more expensive that way, but I think it would be safer than double boxing. It would increase their weight so much though that a forklift would need to be used probably for moving them around.

You need to consider whether the frame of the unit can support the most massive components inside - usually the transformers.

The Yamaha M-80 transformers when transferring impacts to the frame and then the body break loose and damage things.

The solution is to mount directly to the most massive components, supporting them with the rest of the unit along for the ride.

THEN vibration isolate that assembly and pack it well, otherwise the most massive parts can rattle like a rock in a can, even though the can is well packed.

DHL scares me. When I have ordered vinyl through Amazon UK (shipping to the US), I've had shipments appear to be lost, only to show up five or more weeks after they've shipped. And often, they are damaged. And then I'm photographing the mess and having Amazon replace them. Royal Mail? Never an issue. I've had product arrive within 6 days of ordering, with packaging completely intact. DHL seems to find any way possible to mess up just about anything I've ever ordered internationally.

Would they handle freight differently? No idea, but I'd be wary of shipping anything heavy/expensive using DHL. YMMV of course.

If I have to ship something heavy, my first option would be to strap it to a pallet.

For domestic freight I've had good luck with New Penn. They're mostly Northeast Regional but I've sent some stuff to CA with them. Better pricing and easier to work with than FedEx or UPS Freight in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom