Craziest estate sale I've ever been to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Wasn't much audio there by the time I found out about this but it had run for two full days already and the amount left was staggering.
This fellow was ready for nuclear Armageddon, right down to an 8' x 8' lead lined shelter with 6 bunk beds, sink, bathroom and small stove. This was down in the bunker basement that was huge. There were 900 pictures in this auction listing, I just copied the text.
His undoing was the 5000 gallon fuel tanks buried in his yard, one diesel and one gasoline. The gasoline tank developed a leak and was discovered by the authorities.
This house/compound sat on some acreage in the town of Medford Lakes in a secluded section of upper scale homes. The cleanup cost was going to be astronomical so he just walked away.
He was setup to take as many as 100 people, there were multiple bath houses with showers and toilets, rows of washers and dryers, ton's of rice and other food staples, just crazy. Had stocks of seed to start again if nothing was left but ash. He had everything covered, a leaky tank was his undoing.
In the bunker was rows and rows of manuals for everything he owned, I grabbed the manuals for his radio gear in the command post. Nothing was left in there by the time I saw it, just cables and some CRT monitors. This man was very well organized, one room was full of medical books and remnants of gear that must have been sold off.
He was of the mindset that he may be the only surviving pocket of humanity for many of miles, maybe the entire country. All of the gun safes contents and ammo was long gone of course, as he had a small arsenal as well.
I understand that his wife had passed and he is elderly. This looked like decades and 100's of thousands of dollars in the making.

This house collection of survival goods is intended for bugging in, although there are loads of outdoor equipment for anyone whose plan is for bugging out when the shtf at teotwawki. Ever thought of building a bomb shelter? We have an 8x8 lead bomb shelter that can be removed in sections. Please pass this along to your New Jersey, NY, Pa, De prepper aquaintanances. There has not been a catastrophe to use it, but the passion of survival and the collecting of items necessary for that, was the inspiration for the design and construction of this home. It’s more than a home, really, for this owner - this Renaissance Man, and his late wife, who worked together fiercely to accomplish the building of a safe place. The house is art, the functionality is genius, the purpose humanitarian. You don’t find better people than Joe; although he’d say that’s because you didn’t meet his wife. The house is large, much of it underground and there are out buildings in the surround. The engineering is logical and the content is massive. Larger items that we have to offer are coal burning heating systems (for your disassembly) and 2 tons of coal, lose and bagged, 2 vinyl sheds, Amish made chicken coop, 100s of water collection barrels, hold back sand, washers/dryers, refrigerators, stoves and ovens, industrial cleaning supplies, PVC pipes and fittings, BULK – like Home Depot and BJs Wholesale. This doesn’t begin to account for what you will see for sale. Contents are suitable for normal daily use and for preppers and survivalists – bug in , bug out . And there is art, and lots of furniture, men’s and women’s clothing, coats, footwear, coats, luggage, libraries, photographic equipment and too much more. You will need flashlights, gloves, boxes – you will need a BUDDY – your purchases will need to get to your vehicle. Please do not wear open-toed shoes; there are opportunities to trip throughout. IF YOU ARE BRINGING CHILDREN, please realize there are many places to fall, get lost, and there is an open pond on the premises. Your choice to attend is your own. We are not responsible for accidents. We will provide a floor plan to help guide you through the property. We’ll also have a licensed food truck onsite. (Toni & Tori’s Grill). We can’t guarantee seamless internet access, so if you bring cash instead of relying on CC, you’re more assured eating and shopping. If you always wanted to know how to build a bomb shelter but were afraid to ask, we have an 8 x 8 lead bomb shelter for you to disassembled & moved to where ever you want to put it. Contents includes: washers and dryers, washer/dryer units – some propane 2 vinyl sheds Amish chicken coop low profile toilets – some still in boxes refrigerators – some propane kitchen cabinets Survivalist Library thousands of pounds of dry food lighting electronics tools, tools, tools construction supplies and materials power tools plumbing supplies welding supplies canning supplies lots of coleman camping supplies industrial cleaning supplies vacuum cleaners lumber clear cut cedar scrap copper pipes and wire tool storage pvc pipes and fittings janitorial supplies cases of paper goods freezers stoves, oven ranges, cook tops gas masks brand new blow up swimming pools - family size small molded pools outdoor cooking bulk canned goods snow blower chipper personal hygiene supplies in bulk oil lamps air conditioners kerosene heaters electric scooter wheelchairs rope & cable filters exhaust fans ladders coolers automotive office supplies large office printer / copier desks, chairs computers desk lamps cast iron stoves TVs pots and pans grandfathers clock garden tools bedrooms sets mahogany dining room set rugs art wood carvings better men’s and women’s clothing , shoes , boots outdoor clothing knitting machine home décor and collectibles projection screens meat slicer meat grinder coffee coffee coffee tea tea tea luggage linens audio vinyl records crafting supplies antique sewing machines Viking sewing machine ceiling fans kitchen island thousands of pavers landscape stones and boulders concrete planters garage door opener glass top kitchen table with chairs Old Coca Cola cooler in original box mid century kitchen set drafting tables, stools Ammunition room apparatus ( no guns or ammo) gun safes fireproof safe vintage cameras and equipment large portable compartment safe lots of outdoor Christmas decorations vintage dolls linens and bedding books books books 4 walls of shell window shades (entire circumference of home interior) toys, games laundry detergents Many items are in multiples, many are in cases. If you are a bulk buyer you should bring help. You will need flashlights, boxes, ropes or bungees – yes, we have them here or sale, but you can’t count on that. Everything is for sale – EVERYTHING. Whatever is attached or assembled will be your responsibility to remove. This property is overwhelming and we will do our best to make it easy for everyone. Please be patient. Please respect this owner's home and his good intentions. Parking is going to be difficult, so please use logic.
View full details at EstateSales.NET: https://www.EstateSales.NET/NJ/Medford/08055/1673415

That is crazy. Preparing for Armageddon must consume a lot of time and money. Maybe it's better to live it up and if Lil' Kim drops the big one on us at least we had some fun. But to each their own, of course.

Wow, that is truly amazing. What an experience to be able to walk through and see one man's work like that.

Thank you for posting this. :)

That is absolutely nuts! I'm woefully unprepared, with my 40 or so rounds of 22 ammo and 2 boxes of Minute Rice.

Was John Goodman there?

rs-224595-cloverfield.jpg

I'm not sure what is going to happen. I was told the Sheriffs department is coming in the morning to padlock it for back taxes. In NJ if you have an oil spill on your property you are totally responsible for the clean up. The problem is the NJ department of environmental protection has gotten way out of hand and the expense will easily go over a million dollars. It's pretty common for a business to just walk away from a problem property in this state.
It was kind of sad to see a mans life reduced to this. His proceeds from the estate sale will be a drop in the bucket compared to what he spent over the years. I heard nothing but good things about him and his departed wife. His wife died at the age of 92. There were cases upon cases of woman's hygiene paper products, they were prepared to take in a lot of people if the time came.
I saw a bookshelf full of CD's in the bunker, mostly popular music and classical, no rap. Lot's of books on every subject, complete sets of encyclopedias. Need to educate the kids in the new era. He had everything thought out.
From the looks of the gas pumps in the out building, those tanks were in the ground way before the new regulations came into effect. Somebody told me that he bought a motorhome, was going to travel some.....

BillWojo

Renaissance man? Survivalist? Humanitarian? How about crackpot with way too much time and money.
In the end all for nothing and clean up costs for the taxpayers.

I hate to say this, but a survival shelter half an hour away from Philadelphia will enable you to stay alive long enough for all the hungry people to come for a visit. This would be a different story in the Adirondacks.

There also is an adage that every underground fuel storage tank is a LUST.

Stupid ****er could have saved a bunch of money, migrated to Australia, survived Armageddon and had a good time to boot. Now he's got a motorhome...

Still should come to Australia.
I dunno, I've seen both versions of "On The Beach" - didn't seem that promising either time ...
and from all I've heard, its HARD to immigrate there - y'all keep newcomers to a minimum ...

No polytics - jest bein' playful, y'all! ;)

I dunno, I've seen both versions of "On The Beach" - didn't seem that promising either time ...
and from all I've heard, its HARD to immigrate there - y'all keep newcomers to a minimum ...

No polytics - jest bein' playful, y'all! ;)
You've just got to know which Liberal Party politician to pay off.

I hate to say this, but a survival shelter half an hour away from Philadelphia will enable you to stay alive long enough for all the hungry people to come for a visit.

Hungry people are a self-correcting issue in ~15-20 days. Then you have to worry about organized raiders and it gets ugly.

Stupid ****er could have saved a bunch of money, migrated to Australia, survived Armageddon and had a good time to boot. Now he's got a motorhome...

I guess you never saw "On The Beach".

I find it odd that an all natural thing like oil, which comes from the ground, becomes such a disaster if you spill it on the ground.

I know why its a problem, but still.

The clean up will be to dig up all the contaminated earth, destroying everything in the way, haul it away and bury it.

I know, bury it in an approved location. But still, seem ironic.

If there was any brains in Hollywood, they would make a great movie on that site, make a pile of money and then pay to clean up the site. They seem like a "green" crowd with a lot of save-the-earth talk.
Great chance to put their money where their mouth is.

I guess you never saw "On The Beach".

I find it odd that an all natural thing like oil, which comes from the ground, becomes such a disaster if you spill it on the ground.

I know why its a problem, but still.

The clean up will be to dig up all the contaminated earth, destroying everything in the way, haul it away and bury it.

I know, bury it in an approved location. But still, seem ironic.

If there was any brains in Hollywood, they would make a great movie on that site, make a pile of money and then pay to clean up the site. They seem like a "green" crowd with a lot of save-the-earth talk.
Great chance to put their money where their mouth is.
Nope. Never seen On The Beach. What's it nearly 60 years later and Australia is still thriving....

I personally would not mind moving back to Australia, but logistics can be complicated.

Concerning this thread: that is an impressive amount of work that guy did/had done.

His undoing was the 5000 gallon fuel tanks buried in his yard, one diesel and one gasoline.

He must have been banking on a short-term collapse as the gas would not remain stable for a year. If I was bunkering anything it would be #2 diesel (home heating oil) or B20 biofuel. #2 is stable for ~2 years without stabilizers and B20 3+. Both will run in current diesel vehicles w/ minimal mods not to mention boat generators, stoves, etc.

Nope. Never seen On The Beach. What's it nearly 60 years later and Australia is still thriving....

Stay the course, you missed nothing. The capsule summary for the book should be "We give up!". I don't know much about Australian culture but have always had the impression that Australians are in general resourceful. Not the bunch depicted in the book. They essentially lay down and wait to die. The less sessile commit suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom