Creating tape loop

kiki4122

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello everyone. I'm a new member and hope I'm doing this properly. My question is this; I'm thinking about purchasing a new preamp that doesn't have a tape loop. It does have 3 inputs and 2 main outputs. Could I hook up a tape deck output to one of the inputs and one of the main outputs on the preamp to "record" input of tape deck? I know I wouldn't have a monitor capability but the signal of a selected input should be recordable, correct? Please forgive me if it's an obvious question. Thanks

In theory yes but... If both of the pre outs are controlled by the volume knob you are going to have a tough time setting the record level properly. The volume knob is going to need to be near it's max position to get the correct level to the recorder. Speakers are going to be blasting while you are recording. I suppose you could disable the speakers or amp and use headphones for recording though. Playback will be fine through any AUX input ( line level ).

Thanks revox. I see what you mean. Probably better for me to either find a preamp with a tape loop or at least a dedicated "tape out" output.

Back
Top Bottom