credit card scam

Doug

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
- this was forwared to me thought I pass it along-
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 10:39 AM
Subject: Charge Card Scam Alert

Subject: Fw: Charge Card Scam Alert
This was sent by a friend. I forward it to you because it never hurts to be well-informed.
Claim: Scammers are pretending to be fraud investigation agents for Visa and MasterCard in order to obtain credit card security codes.
Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]
We all receive emails all the time regarding one scam or another; but last week I REALLY DID get scammed! Both VISA and MasterCard told me that this scam is currently being worked throughout the Midwest, with some variance as to the product or amount, and if you are called, just hang up.
My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called in
Thursday from "MasterCard". It worked like this: Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This
would be on your VISA card issued by 5/3 bank. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in
Arizona?" When you say "No". The caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the
charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"
You say, "Yes". The caller continues . . . "I will be starting a fraud
investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 800 number listed on your card 1-800-VISA and ask for Security. you will need to refer to this Control #". Then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?" Caller then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your card. Turn the card over. There are 7 numbers; first 4 are 1234 (whatever) the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you
are in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card. Read me the 3 numbers."
Then he says "That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do."
You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the
card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20
minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security
dept. told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of
$497.99 WAS put on our card.
Long story made short . . . we made a real fraud report and closed the
VISA card and they are reissuing as a new number. What the scam wants is
the 3 digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep
charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then its harder to actually file a fraud report. The real VISA reinforced that they will never ask for anything on the card (they already know).
What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word for word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up. We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said they are taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and
coworkers.
PASS IT ON!

Back
Top Bottom