Crescendo 3007 woofer help

GiantPanda

Glowin'
Hi All,

Just refoamed a set of these yesterday with a set of foams from my audio addiction using the proper glue on the cones (weldwood). Not sure of the history as these were a CL score ($120 for the pair plus a velodyne F1200B!) Upon firing them up, it seemed that the sound was very 1 sided. I set them up biamped from my denon avr 3600. I checked the one side that seemed low and I noticed that there was a lot of VC rub on one woofer. During installation, I was very careful to align each surround and there was no rub while on the bench. Also, during refoaming I noticed there was one woofer where the cone sat much lower at rest than the others, and did not seem to have as much "spring" in it as the others.

My question is - how do I check to see if the woofer in question is actually "bad" and needs to be replaced. Is there any resource that would repair the woofer if needed? On a quick check of the bay I did not see any 8" IMG woofers.

Attachments

• IMG_20190119_152953.jpg
    IMG_20190119_152953.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Having refoamed a set of CS3007s about a year ago, I also had a significant amount of VC rub once I put them in the cabs but not while I was doing the refoaming on my table. The way that I resolved it was by removing the plastic trim ring and readjusting the foam surround so that the tension of the surround held the VC centered while sitting in the orientation of the cabs. I also found that one woofer needed to be rotated 180 degrees to not rub. When they are sitting flat on a table they lay differently than when they are vertical in the cabs which threw off all of mine after I put them in. If it is just VC rub though its definitely fixable. For the one with the sunken cone, look at where the VC former should be attached to the spider under the cone, as shown in the picture. I've seen a few where the spider dries out and just separates from the VC there which sunk the cone in and had it lose all of its spring (a pair of sterlings my great aunt had sitting outside in a shed for 20 years). If that is the case I'm not sure what the repair would be, if you could get away with just replacing the spider or if you would have to do an entire recone on it. If the latter ends up being the case, you might just want to wait for a replacement to pop up on Ebay. They aren't super uncommon, and in my experience they normally cost $45-$65 for an 8" IMG woofer out of a Kappa 6.1 or CS series speaker.

qA6zagq.png

Here is a link to a pair of 5.1 woofers at $45 each + shipping, not sure if they are exactly the same, so you should check the pictures vs yours, they are pretty clear on this listing. The Kappa .1 and CS series were made around the same time at a similar price point so I'd imagine they're close if not identical, I ran a pair of CS woofers in my 6.1s for a while until I found proper replacements on Ebay and didn't notice a difference in sound between the two. I do know that the Sterling series woofers have much smaller voice coils and shorter excursion, so avoid those.

MOD - Deleted eBay link ---

Having refoamed a set of CS3007s about a year ago, I also had a significant amount of VC rub once I put them in the cabs but not while I was doing the refoaming on my table. The way that I resolved it was by removing the plastic trim ring and readjusting the foam surround so that the tension of the surround held the VC centered while sitting in the orientation of the cabs. I also found that one woofer needed to be rotated 180 degrees to not rub. When they are sitting flat on a table they lay differently than when they are vertical in the cabs which threw off all of mine after I put them in. If it is just VC rub though its definitely fixable. For the one with the sunken cone, look at where the VC former should be attached to the spider under the cone, as shown in the picture. I've seen a few where the spider dries out and just separates from the VC there which sunk the cone in and had it lose all of its spring (a pair of sterlings my great aunt had sitting outside in a shed for 20 years). If that is the case I'm not sure what the repair would be, if you could get away with just replacing the spider or if you would have to do an entire recone on it. If the latter ends up being the case, you might just want to wait for a replacement to pop up on Ebay. They aren't super uncommon, and in my experience they normally cost $45-$65 for an 8" IMG woofer out of a Kappa 6.1 or CS series speaker.

qA6zagq.png

Here is a link to a pair of 5.1 woofers at $45 each + shipping, not sure if they are exactly the same, so you should check the pictures vs yours, they are pretty clear on this listing. The Kappa .1 and CS series were made around the same time at a similar price point so I'd imagine they're close if not identical, I ran a pair of CS woofers in my 6.1s for a while until I found proper replacements on Ebay and didn't notice a difference in sound between the two. I do know that the Sterling series woofers have much smaller voice coils and shorter excursion, so avoid those.

MOD - Deleted eBay link ---

Perfect, thanks for the link!

I had one that I repaired. The cone separated from the spider. I took a flash light and looked were it was ment to be. I took a very small artist paint brush and applied speaker glue to the cone where it was connected. Adjusted the cone to meat with the spider. Held for 5 minutes. Once secure, I let it set overnight to cure. Still playing beautifly to this day.

Back
Top Bottom