Crescendo Series CS3008 Very Impressed

TomBig58

Recently I was lucky enough to score a nice pair or CS3008's at a decent price. Not a scroe mind you but I'm a cheap-ass so you would all probably say I scored. They needed a complete refoam but the wood veneer cabs are in great shape with no large or easily noticeable chips. I got the kit through Midwest, I didn't want to mess around with budget foams from 2nd tier ebay sellers, which I've done with lower end speakers.

The refoam was a bear with the glued plastic rings and some real stubborn factory glues. Alcohol was not getting it done so out came the laquer thinner and acetone. The woofers proved difficult to center with a 30Hz tone. I suspect the VC has a pretty tight tolerance. I've never removed a dust cap and shimmed so I consider myself lucky to have got it done.

I've owned a pair of Qb's for a couple of years and fell in love with the emit instantly. Seriously the Qb's have pushed Klipsch tower horns and even ESS AMT's to the side. Full disclosure it was the bass and mids that bested my Amt 1b bookshelfs, not that wonderful Heil tweeter. I also recently refoamed a pair of Kappa 6.1's but I'm having some low end problems that are unresolved so in all fairness I can't A/B those with the 3008's right now.

Well I've got to say the those 3008's do everything right to my ears. I favor acoustic suspension and don't like boomy bass but these rear ported babies are tight enough on the low end to the point I know I can improve any boominess with room treatment, placement, and fill if necessary. My room is pretty small and I had to pull them away from the wall, they probably are too big for the room. Being 4 ways the woofer high cuts at 200Hz (200/800/3000) so the woofer handles no vocals, etc. and that just works superbly in this speaker. Very well engineered imo.

With no attenuators the C/O meshes perfectly with the drivers, they did a good design job imo. I didn't spend much time with the Kappa polydome but I KNOW the mid/midbass coupler design in this speaker is going to best it easily. I was powering them with my MCS 3125, 120 watts and very clean power with onboard EQ. I like to use that for speaker testing (and most other times lol) because I can dial in/out speaker inadequacies with the EQ. The 3008's did excellent at flat contour. At volume I dialed down the -3dB at 1K because I thought it was a little overpowering in that range but when I backed up to 15ft or so I wanted that 3dB back. Any time I find a pair of speakers that sound best to my ears at totally flat settings I know they are something special.

I only A/B'd them with the Qb's and let me tell you, it was night and day. The 3008's filled the room to the point they made the Qb's sound like they had a cardboard box over their head. Okay, maybe a little exaggerated but soundstage wise there really was no comparison. I was shocked. I LOVE my Qb's!!

I went through some live Big Head Todd at moderate volume, then into Steely Dan "Gaucho", Santana Abraxas on vinyl, some streaming choices, Harry Nilsson on CD, some ripped mp3 cd's I had, then Who's Next on vinyl. Unlike some "precise" speakers I own these did the loud rock and roll justice for sure.

They are 90dB efficient (2.8V/1m for those of you who know what that means lol) and folks say they don't need a lot of power. In all my searching I never found an ohm rating. When Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire" played I cranked up the volume to see just what those "below 200" woofers would handle it. Well, for the first time ever, my 3125 shut down in protection mode...with the volume pot at just past HALF!! I keep an eye on the clipping indicator when I play at volume but that caught me unawares. I have run that volume to 3/4 with my Kef 105's (much less efficient) until the clip indicator was flickering but never had it shut down.

Soooooo….all who say the CS series are NOT amp killers like the larger Kappa's must be mistaken. After I turned it down a bit and played the song at (what I thought) was a safer volume it went into protection again during the drum solo. So now we know these can have some serious impedance drops and the protection circuit in my 3125 works like a dream, thank God!

Thanks for listening. Even with my smallish place these are definitely keepers for me. I WILL try a bi-amp set up soon but for now I will enjoy them. Here are some pics I'll add some researched specs and info along with some cabinet comments down the line.

Attachments

• 20181019_143829.jpg
    20181019_143829.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20181019_143905.jpg
    20181019_143905.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 20181019_143921.jpg
    20181019_143921.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20181118_164100.jpg
    20181118_164100.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 20181207_013341.jpg
    20181207_013341.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 80
Nice to see someone else enjoying these speakers.
I'm using mine as the rears of my little home theater such as it is.
They're sitting on some 4x4's flat on their backs behind my couch.
Might not be the best way to enjoy them but it works for me.
I can relate to the rings being hard to get off. They used some mighty tough stuff back when they were built.

Hey Old Ears. I read that post while digging up what info I could on those. Laying on the floor doing rears duty seems like overkill but if it works for you that's fantastic. You must have a BIG couch!

Heheh. I was hoping they'd fit without moving anything AND THEY DID!
Got lucky on that as I didn't want to have to give them up or loose any room to them.
Worked out perfectly. Couch went back into the same depressions in the carpet as before, much to my wife's dismay.

It's amazing how much bass is being put into tv program signals now days. The CS's coupled with my Column II's is almost too much at times.

I think they did a really great job putting everything together with that emit r on that series. Very enjoyable speakers and glad you found them. I know it was hard for me to turn mine off sometimes not wanting to stop listening sessions.

Yes. Usually at this time of night I'll have FM running in a couple rooms while I'm running around doing stuff. Tonight I'm running through my album collection with the Crescendo's rolling in the front room. Trower, ELO, now the sweet violins, flutework, and mellow harmonies of Marshall Tucker. I'm making some room to move out and store the Qb's and RSb's to make some room at the set-up. When I swap out to try bi-amping I'm gonna move some of my other "big boy" speakers in to give the 03's some competition.

Ya, I consider the Crescendos the great un-known series of classic infinitys, I don't have any 3008, but I do own 2 pair of 3009, and 3 pair of 3007, including a pair at my brothers house.

My RS 2b top them for mid/highs, hard to beat 3 emim's and 3 emits, but it's close. Very close.

Your input scattered about in threads has helped me as I researched these guys. I figured I would title the thread as such for posterity. I haven't found a crossover diagram for the 8's yet. I wonder if the bi-amp connection is just for the woofer or includes the mid-bass coupler. I imagine the 9's must have a more profound bass with twin 10".
Here is a link to a guy selling a pair with 3008 specs pictured:
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649323128-ininity-crescendo-cs3008-speakers/

Here is an Audiogon link with useful historical info:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/f...eal-oak-finish-msrp-2013-05-11-speakers-94925

Here is a link to some positive reviews. Interesting thoughts about extending the port tube in the 1/9/2002 comment:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/f...eal-oak-finish-msrp-2013-05-11-speakers-94925

Jazz, I'm sure you read all of those already. I mentioned in another thread about the construction of the 8's with heavy cardboard "sonotube" enclosures for the two mid drivers glued heavily at the rear and packed with polyfill to act as enclosure AND cabinet brace. The whole top is packed with poly as well as fluffed up under the woofer but no fill, baffle, nothing between the woofer and rear port.

The pics in this thread show a side to side brace in the 7's that my 8's do not have. the 7's seem to have a slightly longer port.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....do-series-rehab-cs-3006-3007-and-3008.722771/

About the drivers: Mine are as follows: Woofer 10" IMG (872TNC) #902-6779
Mid-bass coupler 6 1/2" IMG (831TNC) #902-6778
Mid driver 4" IMG (833TNI) #902-6770

I was looking around for a possible replacement woofer and found none with that number. None of the Kappa model showed that exact number for their 10" IMG drivers. Both of mine ohmed out at 3.4. Even a pair for sale on the auction site from CS 3008 have different P/N from mine. Intriguing.

Here are some pics of my cabs and drivers

Attachments

• 20181118_164006.jpg
    20181118_164006.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20181118_164017.jpg
    20181118_164017.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181206_174951.jpg
    20181206_174951.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181206_234307.jpg
    20181206_234307.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20181118_164032.jpg
    20181118_164032.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181206_234008.jpg
    20181206_234008.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 38
FWIW I’ve never used a tone to center a woofer

I’ve always found they center themselves by pressing down on the dustcap and then letting up swiftly and letting the woofer bounce into position

Simple as that

the 3009 also have the cross bracing, (not just side to side, but front to back as well) tubes behind the midbass, etc etc.
Honestly, the 3009 have excessive bass unless you've a BIG room. I know they don't go 'that' low, but they go down low enough for all rock and roll. I'm tempted to pull out a pair again into my big room, but I've stacked them to reduce space, and have a damn arm injury that keeps me from doing any lifting. (getting old blows)

Surprising the woofers in the 3008 are their own number. I just pulled the woofers out of one of my 3009, and surprise surprise, there's no printed numbers on the back at all. I wonder if whomever refoamed them (dunno which pair was 7.62s anymore) cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and erased the printing.

I may need to recant about the polydome mids on the Kappa's. They ARE something special for sure. I've been doing some, albeit nearfield comparing. That room is set up for TV now so the sweet spot is actually sitting on the coffee table lol. Rolling off the Kappa6.1's 6dB at 60 and 3dB at 240 with speaker pots max is their current happy spot. The 8's I like best rolled off 3dB at 60hz and 3 at 1K. I do this because, well, I can! At those settings and my relatively nearfield position I could live with either set. Just enjoying the music tonight. :D

Attachments

• 20181207_235815.jpg
    20181207_235815.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Just for reference Jazz the pair from me were completely stock except for one woofer that I blew the voice coil out of. I was lucky to get a N.O.S woofer from Harmon. May have been the last one. And I prefer to leave any original marking from infinity as you saw how anal I can be with your 2B’s saving those tags for your woofers.

Last edited:
It was a tough decision but my 3008 pair are now gone. Needing to thin my collection I opted to keep my Kirksaeter Tower 260. They are a little narrower which fit my new place better, 4 ways with twin 8" woofers the sonic comparison was very close. I never was a huge fan of ported speakers and the acoustic suspended Kirks are quicker and less boomy in the low range. In fact I "socked" the ports in the Crescendos most of the time.

All I have left in the Infinity line are my beloved Qbs. One pair stock and parts to build another if I can get someone to build me an enclosure. Que sera sera I enjoyed those 3008s for quite awhile.

I DO have a pair of RS 6b but when I get them refoamed and compare with the Qb I think I already know which will sound better to my ears and then out the door they will go as my "thinning" continues.

It's nice to revisit an old thread. Be well y'all.

Looking at the pair tubed posted above, is that real wood or vinyl on the cabinets?

with the volume pot at just past HALF!!

Good sir, with brickwalling and such, the volume knob is not truly a great way to gauge output.

I've only had a single amplifier at the halfway mark, and that was for vinyl with a low output cart.

Might ease off a bit, that DC clipping is a killer.

Back
Top Bottom