Criterion speakers?

Ugly grill cloth?! That's vintage gold! :)

I was also appreciative of the post about the speakers in the catalog; it answered some questions I had had about them. Such as--what are the crossover points in these speakers? Wasn't sure how to figure that out through testing and measurement. Assuming the details in the catalog are accurate, I have something to go on now.

By the way--the cardboard tube ports on mine have that fiberglass damping stuffed into them. Did you take yours out, or someone else? And does it make any meaningful difference?

The cabinets are pretty good--veneer is attractive. Was thinking of taking one pair and completely replacing all the drivers, see what happens.

I gave my barber a pair and only regret parting with them because of how beautiful the laminate looked.
The criterions and ar2ax speakers I've owned were by far the nicest looking.

Meh
Ugly grill cloth?! That's vintage gold! :)

I was also appreciative of the post about the speakers in the catalog; it answered some questions I had had about them. Such as--what are the crossover points in these speakers? Wasn't sure how to figure that out through testing and measurement. Assuming the details in the catalog are accurate, I have something to go on now.

By the way--the cardboard tube ports on mine have that fiberglass damping stuffed into them. Did you take yours out, or someone else? And does it make any meaningful difference?

The grill cloth that's on there now is something the seller put on right before selling them to me. I kind of like the off white AR style cloth. We'll see, when all is said and done, they're going back in the gym, so it's not that important that they look authentic. I may leave it alone. And I put the fiberglass back into the port tube. Figured it was there for a reason.

Back then the Criterions made by Lafayette were a great bargain. For us poor High School/ College kids, it was a great choice. I got my Criterion 25As in 10th grade and they stayed with me until I got my first decent pair of speakers; paid for by my first full time job. I still have those Altec Lansing Series II Model 3s. Your Criterions will suit your needs until another TS bargain shows up. That is the fun of shopping for vintage.

They were my first speakers also. Had just graduated college and was in law school. With Lafayette receiver and Garrard changer. I was thrilled!

Hi all.. I have a pair of Criterion 50A speakers I want to restore.. Years back I replaced the single caps to the tweeters with some film caps, 3.4uf, BUT.. I'm not sure that was the original cap value in the speakers, but the closest I had... and now cannot find the original cap values... does anyone happen to have a Service Manual, Schematic for the 50A's, or know for certain what the values of crossover caps were? Love to get a schematic or manual if anyone has one, or can direct me to link to download.. thanks!!!

At that age, crossover caps are shot. Despite the fact that they sound okay, they can sound better with new caps - cheap and easy to do. Partsexpress, Mouser, Digikey... If they are indeed vented, make sure that the batting on the back panel is in place and if you are ambitious you can replace it with better modern materials. If they are closed boxes, stuffing with Acuostistuff (Parts Express) serves to make the woofers think they are in larger boxes.

I have a pair of Criterion 50A. They and your Criterion are indeed Lafayette. There was however, an independent brand by the same name which was a bit more ambitious in their designs.

Hi TERPODION... Since you had or have some 50A's.. can you tell me, what is the exact value of the original CAPACITOR that was connected to the tweeter? That was the crossover..just an inline cap, around 3uf.. but I can't find my notes. I replaced with almost new, 3.4uf film caps, but am now wanting to solder new caps in, and finish my restoration. Please reply or just email direct to unc80@yahoo.com. Thanks, Greg

Last edited:
My experience with Lafayette products and the Criterion loudspeakers in particular is good. Generally solid products designed for listening. Particularly the Criterion 2005 with ESS Heil tweeters. Very, very nice. Not so much accurate or precise as just lovely powerful musical sound that can produce an acoustic guitar or progrock band like Yes or Duke Ellington's big band with utterly convincing power and clarity.

One more point, I wound up replacing the woofers even though I wanted to repair the originals. It just was not practical. Anyway, it took some reseach to do this because the 2005s are a low 4 ohms. I tried 8 ohms before realizing this. Much too wimpy low end. So I went with very heavy 4 ohm woofers that could meet the tweeter and the sound is fantastic. Balanced and musical.

I had a pair of Lafayette Criterion 2002+ speakers. Came in a package deal that included I think a cheapish Garrard turntable.
And a Lafayette LR-9090. Paid around $699 plus tax for the package deal in 1977 I think. Lafayette used to have some good "package deals" periodically. Still have the sales receipt but it's too faded to read 46 years later.
Those Criterions would play LOUD.

I wish I would have kept the receiver.
The turntable and speakers not so much.
I see 2002+ speakers for sale occasionally and I'm always amazed that the OEM inverted foam surrounds still appear to be in good shape. So many other brands needed replacement foam surrounds in the 4 decades since then.

Back
Top Bottom