Critters

addylo

We've got a bird thread, may as well have a critter thread as well. Any kind of critter, wild or domesticated, is fair game.

Post 'em if you've got 'em.

569751103_TNneA-XL.jpg

569751125_SqnEB-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Just Chillin on My Neighbor's Toolshed.:yes:
attachment.php

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
It's actually a consumer-level (i.e. not pro) zoom but it was what I could afford at the time. At f/4.5-5.6 it still serves my needs pretty well. The auto-focus can be a tad slow to lock on but color, IQ, bokeh, etc are very nice.

But for birding I still wish I had faster and more reach. Maybe some day.

To quote those two Eastern European brothers on the old (first) incarnation of Saturday Night Live...

P1030619.jpg

P1030608.jpg

DSCN6240.jpg

deer12311111.jpg

deer1231116.jpg

deer12311113.jpg

(and, yeah, still terrible photos compared to all y'all's...)

Oh, Dear...(grin) How DID that Possum get up on that line ?!? Better yet, how WILL he get down-Intact, anyhow...

One of the best wildlife photo venues in Texas (IMO) is Brazos Bend State Park, southwest of Houston. Lots of gators and aquatic birds.

588775139_e2AWj-XL.jpg

1247433806_tDMrf-XL-1.jpg

1247898513_7Wsxh-XL.jpg

I was walking along the path looking towards the main lake and almost missed this little fella right behind me (watching me).

569090736_Sma4c-XL.jpg

Mountain Goats

I had been after the goats for 5 years. They are very hard to see and even harder to get in somewhat of a good shooting range. This was me on the side of a hill and them on the other side. I was trying to hand hold my 300mm and keep from sliding down the mountain side. I would make a noise and they would move away a few more yards..

goats.jpg

Elk "Practice Fight"

A couple of 2 or 3 year olds. Not ready for the "Big Leagues" but jousting with someone in the same weight class.

Elkfight.jpg

Black Elk.. The Black on the horns and grey body is from rolling in some very smelly mud. If you are downwind from the mud marsh you will know it. Nasty & very stinky stuff...

elkdown1.jpg

Rounding Up The Girls - Big Bull Keeping the Harem in check... Heavy crop on this one.. they were 500+ yards away.

RoundingUptheGirls.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff, Tex. I've tried to get mountain goat shots in Colorado, Wyoming, and Alaska but no luck so far.

I really like that last shot of the bull and herd. Nice image, especially given the distance (and crop).

Thanks Neal, I know how hard it is to get a Mountain Goat. I think a big part if the problem is how well they blend into the hill side.

I still want a good Grizzly, Mountain Lion, Bobcat and Big Whitetail deer to add to the portfolio.

Back to the Critters... A friends working Cattle dog. This little guy will give them a good working. He is very cool to watch do his job.

KDsDog.jpg

Another working dog. This little lass gave a herding demo at the Homestead Heritage (near Waco) a couple of years ago. You can tell from the look in her eye that she LOVES her job!

726371882_azpjN-XL.jpg

More of the Ranch Critters

First Up Bill Clinton... I kid you not.. that is his name

KDsDonkey.jpg

Hand raised calf...

KDsCalf.jpg

Working Quarter Horses

KDsHorses-1.jpg

...An' dat Lady in the above picture better HOPE dat Kitteh IS NOT as Peeved about his Situation as he looks...Otherwise, she could end up w/some nice new impromptu Facial Surgery, coutesy of said Kitteh...

Dang! That's one big kitty cat!

When I said I had never gotten a mountain goat I was forgetting about these shots. Not quite the same thing as Tex slipping and sliding up the mountain for the shot, but oh well. :D

DSC0516-XL.jpg

889864032_RGRZ2-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom