1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Critters

Discussion in 'Cameras and Photography' started by addylo, Aug 4, 2012.

1. kcc123

kcc123 Super Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. kcc123

kcc123 Super Member

3. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

Poor little guy. :(

Of note though, I read an article my Mongabay (one of the leading environmental awareness advocacy groups) that said that the Northern Black Widow (a separate species) is creeping further north. From the map they showed, it looks like I'm in the epicentre of their confirmed sightings and overall range, which doesn't surprise me because I had one walk across my leg while I was bank fishing here one time about 6-7 years ago. It was about the size of a nickel, had the classic bulbous body of a black widow, and it had the same distinct red and white dots and stripes on its abdomen. I wasn't even sure what it was until I looked it up online and I was pretty shocked to say the least. I didn't even know about them until then.

The article also mentions the rare Black Purse-web spider, which has been confirmed here as well. I have also had Brown Recluse or "fiddleback" spider scurry across my hand as I was moving some firewood outside. Perfect habitat for them. Now I'm just careful. They have a right to live too. I was also bit by a Yellow Sac spider about 4 years ago that caused necrosis in my flesh about the size of the end of a pencil that I thought was kind of cool. lol It healed completely though. :p My house has tons of them and I just leave them be.

Here's the article if you want to read it. Many people don't even know the Northern Black Widow even exists, or that such a spider exists this far north.

https://news.mongabay.com/wildtech/...forms-help-scientists-predict-species-ranges/

I also found this article as I was looking for the Mongabay article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/black-widow-climate-change-1.4778025

4. Cadillac Kid

Cadillac Kid Addicted Member

Here in Northern California Sierra Foothills they are everywhere. I can go out with a flashlight at night and see 5 or 6 around the house.

In this photo you can see she got agitated, raised her front legs straight up and showed her fangs.

Interesting links, thanks.

IMG_2441.jpg

red 111 likes this.
  5. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

Yeah, I saw a bunch while I was hiking and camping in California in 2014. Me and two other friends stayed at a motel one night where there were several black widows and TONS of cockroaches outside our room. For people reading who don't know, the cockroaches weren't due to the motel being a dump or anything. Cockroaches run wild by the thousands in many parts of California (there were tons at one of our campsites too), so they were just a natural part of the local ecosystem.

Anyway, my two friends slept in the two beds and I slept on the floor on my sleeping pad and sleeping bag with my head within a couple feet of the door. There was the tiniest gap under the door, so to say the least, it took me awhile to fall asleep that night! lol I was worried about either one (or several) already being in the room or one crawling into my bag as I slept, or into my shoes, but all was well. Luckily I never brought anything home. Cockroaches either. lol

I'd love to find another Northern Black Widow though. I know of areas they would probably be, but haven't gone to look for them yet. Same goes for the Black Purse-web spider, which are pretty rare, but I know of a confirmed area where they have been observed. I actually think Northern Black Widows are pretty cool looking though. The markings can vary a bit on them, but the one that crawled across my leg was identical to this one. It was very pretty.

[​IMG]

6. kcc123

kcc123 Super Member

[​IMG]

red 111 likes this.

7. onepixel

onepixel .

Backyard visitor and turtles at the beach.

IMG_0561_JacksonC.png IMG_0550_2-honu_BB.png

8. Cadillac Kid

50C34BFD-35C6-4EE6-BD7F-3A4D75BC8108.jpeg
    This Green backed Heron was relaxing outside my room in San Diego.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  9. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

Since posting this I came across this article about how the range of the Northern Black Widow is spreading. I thought it was interesting.

https://news.mongabay.com/wildtech/...forms-help-scientists-predict-species-ranges/

Cadillac Kid likes this.
  10. RickeyM

RickeyM AK Subscriber Subscriber

11. 1tumbleweed

1tumbleweed Kozmik Kowboy Subscriber

Lunchtime! 005.JPG

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Erik Tracy, KeninDC and Eywadude like this.

12. 1tumbleweed

1tumbleweed Kozmik Kowboy Subscriber

Colorado traffic jam (Tori Savotaka).jpg Colorado traffic jam ( pic byTori Sirovatka)

Styx_II likes this.
  13. old_tv_nut

old_tv_nut See Yourself on Color TV! Subscriber

Onepixel, not seeing your shots

onepixel likes this.
  14. onepixel

onepixel .

Thanks! They seem to come and go as they please.

15. Cadillac Kid

I love seeing your images of the HI critters. Why not just upload to AK? Resolution is overrated.

16. mfrench

mfrench Addicted Member

And, in a creative naming moment, I'm calling this one Number 10
    caught and released, this day, 2018-11-07 AM

by what I can see from its coloring, this one looks like a baby western red diamondback. These get really large, like up to 7'

as found:
    DSCN5592.jpg
    I took the picture, and the flash was on, which spooked it, and it buried itself into the rocks that it is immediately near. That meant the welding gloves came out, and a dig commenced.
    He was in the area where I've been removing an old rotten pool deck, and, backfilling an old swimming pool with dirt.

captured, and in waiting trash can awaiting delivery to the river bottom preserve, for release.
    DSCN5593.jpg

river bottom preserve release
    DSCN5597.jpg
    DSCN5596.jpg

17. onepixel

onepixel .

Spinner Dolphins

_CMY3317.png

Styx_II likes this.
  18. onepixel

onepixel .

False Killer Whales and a couple of dolphins.

_CMY3396.png