Crossover help...

Rockon1

This crossover is in my BIC 3 way speakers. 15" woofer, 5" mid and horn loaded tweeter. Trying to determine what the crossover points are and other pertinent info in order to (possibly) choose a replacement woofer without messing with the crossover(if possible). Ive been searching but just gave myself a headache googling DIY info. .... :confused:...Wondering what can be gleaned from a picture of the crossover itself. TIA Bob

20180218_163628[2462].jpg

If you have or can measure all of the component values, including driver impedances, and generate a hookup diagram, then you could simulate the circuit and get approximate crossover frequencies. Or post that info here to get assistance with the figuring. I would attempt to track down a sales brochure and/or service manual first. Brochures often list crossover frequencies. Why not have the woofer rebuilt?

They are actually new (year old) speakers. While I think they sound very good overall the bass response isn't that tight. I put Eminence Delta Pro 12A's in my last pair of large speakers after blowing a woofer (Infinity 3 ways) and loved the difference in those. Tight, articulate bass. They made drums sound like they were in the room at loud volumes but played nicely at lower volumes and still sounded balanced. At the time I did no research -just threw them in. Must have gotten lucky so I figured I'd try a bit of research first before committing to swapping out these working ones.
As for these there is little info on them Ive found other than basic specs. I know the woofer is 8 ohm and overall they are fairly efficient speakers. An efficient woofer should be ok. I should have checked the mid and tweeter while I was in there. At the moment I'm toying with the idea and thought ,maybe , something could be gleaned from the component values that are shown. Bob

• Design: Double-ported Bi-ampable 3-way 15" Floor Speaker.
  • Frequency Response: 24Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB
  • Sensitivity: 95dB @ 2.83V/1 watt, 1 meter
  • Drivers: One High Excursion Custom Series 15" woofer with a high power, heavy duty magnet, one sealed back 5 1/4" wide dispersion midrange, and one high efficiency horn tweeter with extended output to 116dB.
  • Magnetic Shielding: NO
  • Gold-Plated Terminals:YES
  • Recommended Power: 430 Watts Peak, 225 Watts RMS
  • Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Dimensions: 43"H x 17 1/2"W x 12 1/2"D
  • Weight: 70 Pounds

Emailed the company . They returned my email stating the crossover points are 1200hz and 2400hz. Bob

That's good to know. Keep in mind that speaker system upgrading by woofer improvement can easily backfire. Speaker systems are often 'voiced' in the design process by tweaking the crossover, sometimes far from its theoretical attenuation slopes. Vented cabinets introduce yet another variable at the bottom end --- you could easily end up with bass attenuation at some frequencies and boom at others if woofer characteristics are materially different.

Back
Top Bottom