Crossover, no capacitors?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by paultlaw, Oct 11, 2017.

1. paultlaw

paultlaw AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi all, quick question, do some crossovers not use capacitors? Just inductors and resistors??
    Opened up mission freedoms 752, no sign of any capacitors I could see anyway.

2. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Super Member

Is this the crossover?

[​IMG]

There looks to be at least a 15mdf blue capacitor. Plus, the yellow rectangular part, wired with 1 ohm resistor, is probably a cap too. I just can't make out a value from this angle.

3. paultlaw

Maybe it's a polyester cap I was looking at, I'll grab a picture, should clarify things.

4. paultlaw

5. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

The white box with yellow filling is a capacitor. Most likely a film capacitor.

jwrauch likes this.
  6. paultlaw

Hmm what does the 475k mean then? I though all caps came in a uf value or a pf value?

7. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

4.7uf, 10%

jobrewer1983 and darkblue94 like this.
  8. paultlaw

Thank you kindly, worth changing or "upgrading"?

9. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Being most likely a film cap it is unlikely to need replacing. Changing it for other reasons is up to you.

10. kirk57

kirk57 Some guy on the Internet Subscriber

But to answer the original question, yes, some crossovers (such as the ones in my speakers) do not employ capacitors.
    And no, I'm not really using Panasonic Thrusters.

Retrovert likes this.
  11. paultlaw

Thanks for the help. I'm on the fence then about changing them. For a set of castle speakers I have, I went and ordered a bunch of solen caps. But they are all replacements for electrolytic caps. So the need might actually be there for those.What are your personal feelings/opinions on whether or not you would change the caps in the mission speakers?

12. paultlaw

13. nfafan

nfafan Active Member

I have a pair of E-V 12TRXBs that had nothing in place as crossovers - nothing, zip, zilch, nada. All was running full range. I finally added a single cap in front of the tweeter and they sound even better now.

14. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'd probably leave that cap there unless there is something off about the sound. I assume you don't have test eqpt. or you would have checked the cap. Without some evidence to the contrary I'd probably not feel compelled to replace it. BUT...

If you really like the speakers and want to find out if they can sound even better, and if they are a few years old, it won't cost more than $5-$10 apiece to replace that cap in both speakers with something pretty good. I recapped my 1991 Klipsches which had two film caps each and they did sound better.

15. paultlaw

OK last night I recapped one of the crossovers, and did a comparison between the speakers, and quite honestly I could hear absolutely no difference whatsoever.
    Bit disappointed given the money spent etc

16. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

Sometimes that happens. It is a learning curve - now you know - film caps (don't replace).

17. paultlaw

Apologies, I actually replaced electrolytics in one of my castle speakers, wrong thread! So the film caps made no difference in those, even though they replace old electrolytics

18. stickman

stickman Super Member

The only cross-over capacitors that ever need replacement are those that have faded out of the specified operating parameters or suffered internal breakdown over time. Inexpensive NP electrolytics are far more likely to fail over time than film capacitors but better quality electrolytics found in older high quality speaker brands can last a long time. The fact there was no significant change in sound quality with the capacitor swap just means the electrolytic capacitors you replaced were still functioning properly. Nothing ventured, nothing gained! (lol)