Crossover part identification

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by Darby Crash, May 11, 2018.

1. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

upload_2018-5-15_16-16-54.jpeg
    Yes, and just to make things more complicated (sorry!), the term "rheostat" is sometimes used to mean any variable resistor, and sometimes specifically refers to a variable resistor with only two terminals. A variable resistor with three terminals is sometimes called a "rheostat", but it's more often called a "potentiometer". Going by your pictures, it appears you need a potentiometer.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Active Member

Lol, thanks. You've been very helpful.

3. Darby Crash

Im sitting in my garage staring at my speakers in parts across my garage floor...
    Back to the questions.
    The resistance thru all 4 (even the broke one) rheostats are 47-50ohm. If all 4 were glued in the lowest setting by the factory, im sure i can re-use the 3 good ones. Since the resistance is the same thru all 4 and i dont plan to change where they were set at, can i use the broken one? The part that slides on the wire coil is broke

4. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Yes, if you never intend to change their settings and you can rig the broken slider with some substitute or non-movable fix, that's fine.

Are you sure the factory glued them to the lowest setting?

Maybe some owner did it instead. Either way, that might not be the best-sounding setting.

5. Darby Crash

They were all maxed at counter clock wise

6. StimpyWan

StimpyWan AK Subscriber Subscriber

Were you ever able to listen to the speakers, prior to tear down? If you did, did you like their sound, and balance, between the woofers and tweeters? If so, you could replace all of the rheostats with fixed resistors, that match the readings that you've measured. Find resistors that match the wattage of the rheostats too, to make sure the power handling stays the same.

I would also leave the inductors as-is. If you do decide to replace them, you'd have to match the inductance and resistance of the original parts. If not matched properly, the differing resistance could throw off the sound of the speakers, making them brighter or duller than stock.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Darby Crash

I thought they sounded amazing. All i have to compare them are some mission cyrus 781’s im using now.
    I think fixed resistors would be a great idea. Back to the computer to search.
    Thanks StimpyWan. I was thinking that but just had to hear it from someone.

StimpyWan likes this.
  8. DaveVoorhis

DaveVoorhis Super Member

Again, I think it's unlikely that the factory would set all pots to maximum setting. Before you install fixed resistors, I suggest trying the speakers -- with the broken pot jury-rigged if need be -- for some time to determine the best setting of the pots. Then replace them with fixed resistors.

9. Darby Crash

Counter clockwise, set to minimum.
    Gonna order what i know i need and build the boards. I can buy a pot like i have. I was just draggin my feet on spending $30 for 1 pot.
    Thanks for help.

10. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Spend $35 to become an AK Subscriber and get access to Barter Town. Good chance someone has something compatible sitting around their parts bin.