Crossover question for bi-amping bp20 def tech

Norseman7789

This is my first post.I own an ancient and welled love def tech BP20 speakers.one channel of myCrest amp malfunctioned took out a driver and the crossover,I. Found out that the crossover was no longer available.
That’s the bad news.the good new is I found 2 crossoverers and 2 complete Set of drivers that were in great shape.
While I was thinking about this problem prior to finding parts I bought a BBC MAX X3 active crossover
The people at definitive technology tell my the crossover point is 3k.
The question I have Two qsc gx3 amps that are rated 300watts per channel I would like to bi-amp the speakers.these speakers have plugs for bi amping should I bypass the internal crossovers and all use the bbc cross over and my to amps or run the speakers or use the internal crossover alone or feed the bbc into the speaker crossover..
If I use the active crossover how do I set the high frequeny level to preserve the drivers and my hearing
Thanks for any hePlease-Kris Erickson

Having done live sound for 18 months on the road, I would recommend you bypass the passive crossovers and use the electronic crossovers (into amplifiers)you bought. They don't exhibit the insertion loss of the passives. Plus, you can tune the system to some degree. If the spec'd. xover point is 3k, set it there and use the highest slope rate possible to start with. At least, 12db/octave. Better, 18 dB/Oct. If I could see the crossover, I could dope out the slope for you.
One element to the tweeter, 6 dB/oct, two elements, 12dB, three elements, 18 dB, etc. the elements being an inductor or capacitor. Some crossovers have a variety of inductors, caps, and resistors that makes it more fine tuned.
The one control you won't need is the time delay between drivers. That's for stacking cabinets and aligning them, so all the voice coils produce sound at the exact same time.

Thanks for the advice this crossover is a bbe stereo two way with linkwitz Reilly 24 dB per octave and 115 dB dynamic range it has crossover frequency,and gain for each channel also a bbe sonic maximizer(love it or hate it) to process sound etc.
The speakers are rated for 500 Watts the tweeters are rated at 150 watts continuous.destroying the tweeters with the 300 watt amp is my concern.
Should I put a150 speaker protection circuit breaker and adjust the level b

Sorry I broke off my last post-so should i put a 150 watt speaker protection circuit breaker on th high frequency drivers and adjust the level by ear?
Thanks for every ones help this is one of the most civil and knowledgeable sites I’ve been on.
Best regards,Kris

Back
Top Bottom