Crossover Rebuild Problem

mcdmgb

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Over the past couple of weekends, I rebuilt the crossovers on a pair of McIntosh ML-1C speakers. I did the Option B rebuild with the Vishay resistors described here:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mcintosh-ml-1c-crossover-recap-questions.844318/

One speaker came out sounding very good. The other has weak treble. I thought that there might have bee a problem with the tweeter, but based on this thread:
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tweeter-dcr-reading-question.848511/
it may not be. I did a quick check on my work and I think that everything looks good.

I'm at a bit of a lost as how to proceed. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to look at?

Thanks

Did you compare the impedance of the dome tweeters to each other, and the cone supertweeters to each other (one cabinet to the other)?

The two dome tweeters should read within 10% of the same value. Same goes for the supertweeter, compared to the other supertweeter.

Also, IIRC, both the dome tweeter and the supertweeter have alnico magnets. Its possible that the weak one has suffered a jolt (cabinet dropped or such), and has gotten de-magnetized as a result. Those can be recharged, by a speaker repair shop with a re-magnetizing machine.

For now, it's a good idea to swap the tweeters between cabinets, and then the supertweeters between cabinets. See if the issue follows the same tweeter or supertweeter...

Regards,
Gordon.

No I haven't gotten to that point. Both super tweeters and one dome tweeter are replacements that I have gotten from various sources, so their past history is unknown. I guess the first step is to do the impedance comparison.

Thanks

If one sounds good and the other notsomuch, can you just trade the tweeters from cabinet to cabinet and see if the problem follows?

Alternatively, can you run the wires from the cabinet with the good tweeter to the bad tweeter and see if there is a difference?

Back
Top Bottom