Crossovers are back

Superampman

AK Member
So now my Kappa 9s are for sale. But not before I have a listen. I need to confirm my newly acquired Acoustat Monitor 3 have no peer :)

They are beautiful to behold. P1020273.JPG P1020274.JPG P1020281.JPG P1020282.JPG P1020260.JPG

They look good. I see ClarityCap, Mundorf, and Solen capacitors. Any others? Though, I feel like I missed something? Like the rest of the story? Kappa 9's vs. Acoustat's? How did that happen? Plus, I'd like to hear details about the recap. Can you point to a thread?

Acoustat's are nice, very nice. Good speed, resolution, and midrange bloom. But, they might not slam as hard as the Kappa's. So, depending on how much you value bass extension, dynamics, and peak volume, you might want to keep both sets of speakers! I would! :biggrin:

They look good. I see ClarityCap, Mundorf, and Solen capacitors. Any others? Though, I feel like I missed something? Like the rest of the story? Kappa 9's vs. Acoustat's? How did that happen? Plus, I'd like to hear details about the recap. Can you point to a thread?

Acoustat's are nice, very nice. Good speed, resolution, and midrange bloom. But, they might not slam as hard as the Kappa's. So, depending on how much you value bass extension, dynamics, and peak volume, you might want to keep both sets of speakers! I would! :biggrin:

I had them done by a guy in Edmonton. My experience is with B&W 801, Kef 105, and the Kappa 9s. They all sound 'little' compared to the Acoustat Monitor 3s. They are a lot more dynamic and are more defined at the bottom. They are far more physically sensational. The more panels, the more dynamic. They will produce spls of 120db 20ft away on axis. They are dead flat to 30hz but nothing below so I do use a pair of subs with them. But I use the subs with the Kappas too. So I'm eager to compare them with the new crossovers. They needed rebuilding as some of the caps were shot. I'm sure they will sound different than before. I had been on the hunt for a pair of Monitor 3 for a few years and missed out 3 times. These are the ones with the direct drive servo OTL monos, hence the 'Monitor' designation as opposed to the 'Model' 3 with the interfaces, which btw I also recently acquired. They are virtually identical except for the way they are set up to drive. Either set can be driven the other way around by simply swapping the OTLs for interfaces or vise versa. However, the OTLs are not just a little better. You haven't heard ESLs til you've heard them driven full range, directly, without interfaces. Uncannily transparent. Acoustat made a major blunder when they quickly phased out the OTLs early on in favor of interfaces in order to facilitate the amp of choice to the customer. They sound great that way but not like the directly driven ones. Like a Bentley vs. a Cadillac.

I've heard Acoustat One's, 1+1's, and 2+2's. There was even a local pair of 2+2's on CL for $500. I'm still kicking myself for not getting them! So, I'd love to hear the Monitor 3's. I bet those servo OTL monos are sweet.

As to recaps, I just finished a recap (all Mundorfs - EVO Oil & Supreme's) on my Acoustic Research AR90's. I'm still refurbing the speakers, and haven't heard the new crossovers yet! I'm definitely looking forward to it! Good luck with the 9's too. I hope your recap lives up expectations.

I've heard Acoustat One's, 1+1's, and 2+2's. There was even a local pair of 2+2's on CL for $500. I'm still kicking myself for not getting them! So, I'd love to hear the Monitor 3's. I bet those servo OTL monos are sweet.

As to recaps, I just finished a recap (all Mundorfs - EVO Oil & Supreme's) on my Acoustic Research AR90's. I'm still refurbing the speakers, and haven't heard the new crossovers yet! I'm definitely looking forward to it! Good luck with the 9's too. I hope your recap lives up expectations.
Thanks, I'm sure yours will be great. I've had my eye on AR90s also. But I don't see myself turning back to dynamic drivers being stung by the ESLs. I'm afraid I'm hooked:)

Thanks, I'm sure yours will be great. I've had my eye on AR90s also. But I don't see myself turning back to dynamic drivers being stung by the ESLs. I'm afraid I'm hooked:)

I've got my AR90's, plus my planar dipoles too. While not electrostatic, my Monsoon's sound very good, when I'm in the mood.

Last edited:
Would love to hear the comparisons with the new caps installed on the crossovers.
Oh, I see you have a pair. Honestly, the Acoustats are in another league imo. I think the comparison will be more of a before/after rather than against the ESLs. I'll update when I install and try them out. I work in construction so it may be a while as I come home to relax/veg in front of my system.:)

Back
Top Bottom