CS-99a Restoration Project

i just recapped a 1969 sx1500 td i found NO caps below capacitance and several 4 times there value and 4 bulging leakers. most were 2-3 times there value

Recapped my 99a’s a few years ago too. Quite a job, and a little pricey too due to the volume of caps! Must crisper output. Bought them new in 1977, so they had a special place in my heart. My first hifi setup back in the day!

ive got the 99a's as well and i also recapped them. all this is subjective mind you and my ears arent what they used to be (old age and too many jet engines in my youth) but recapping didnt seem to make much difference. nice job though. is there anything else besides oxalic acid that can be used?

I own the predecessor CS-99 model, word of warning, those 15 inch woofers create a huge amount of sound pressure, you can easily damage your ear drums with them without even realizing it. Be super careful to always start the system with volume down all the way, a surprise burst of high volume can literally blow your eardrums out with those speakers. Oddly, they are not a good speaker to play loud. I cut the pre-amp level way back but give them a bigger boost on the volume to move those big woofers at low levels, myself.

God those 99's are nice speakers - cast drivers......

You dont see them come up often in NZ at all unfortunately - plenty of the lower level Pioneer speakers do however.

The original binding posts stink for two reasons. One-their general design. Two- they are held/connected to the circuit board by a nut and serrated washer. and contact cement At some point, the connection weakens. Simply replacing them and making a valid attempt at making a good connection, greatly improved sound. Actually lowered the impedance of each unit.

The original binding posts stink for two reasons. One-their general design. Two- they are held/connected to the circuit board by a nut and serrated washer. and contact cement At some point, the connection weakens. Simply replacing them and making a valid attempt at making a good connection, greatly improved sound. Actually lowered the impedance of each unit.

Agreed! I've replaced the binding posts on both my CS-99As and CS-77As.

Back
Top Bottom