cs99 recap

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by john stumpf, May 18, 2018.

1. john stumpf

john stumpf AK Subscriber Subscriber

i fully realize these are'nt the best speakers in the world,but being here i've learned to use what i have and do the best i can with it. i've already got the dayton 250v film caps for this but i have a question that's eating at me. WHY is it necessary to shoehorn in these rather large high voltage caps when the voltage from the amp is no where close to that???? i was cruising on mouser and found some stacked films 160vac90vdc for pulse and ac application's that are smaller and come in a larger variety of capacitance's, they are for board mounting but i don't consider this a problem.but i know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to speakers. the existing caps are not marked for voltage just capacitance and the service manual only lists the complete crossover not its components. are these reasonable choices? i asked this question on the speaker forum and got one reply that didnt answer my questions at all. any and all constructive opinions are welcome.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Watthour

Watthour Electron Rancher - JS3600

Inductive reactance can generate voltage spikes. A relatively heavy cone with a coil stuck into a big magnet makes for an outstanding magneto. As long as you are comfortable with the ability of the caps insulation to sustain transients without punching through the plastic, go ahead.

3. john stumpf

john stumpf AK Subscriber Subscriber

if i understand you correctly the risks of doing this apply mostly to woofer circuitry.is that correct? i learn something new ever day.