CT F1000

calman46

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a recapped ,clutch fix, new rubber CT F1000. I hadn't used the deck in a while and now it will play for a few minutes then slow down and stops(FF&RW are good) . I can't remember for sure if I did the motor over haul , I think I did. I'm looking at the micro switches now. Any ideas ?

I changed out 2 micro switches (not the record ) .The deck plays but the speed is fluctuating a little . I have a 3150Hz speed tape and the deck is playing@ 3112-3148 .

Generally, the motors on those don't need rework. Maybe the speed pot is dirty. Back and forth several times and set the speed. Use a ceramic or plastic screwdriver. See what develops...

Power off, and measure contact resistance on tape presence sensor micro-switch. Must be sub-zero ohms, consistently.

Lift the brakes manually, no tape, and make sure reels rotate freely (rotate with fingers).

Transport control switches can get dirty too.

Make sure the capstan belts aren't slipping and center on the pulley and capstans.

More than those tends to get more complicated.

Good luck,
Rich P

Last edited:
The capstan belt is moving side to side on the motor pulley . I'll check what you guys suggested

I think I must have put the old capstan belt back on when I originally did the belt kit . I save the old belts so a quick belt switch and its now playing(set speed by ear) . I'll set speed and give it a good test tomorrow . Thanks for your help

The speed adjust pot on the motor control board is not working . The decks is playing @ 3180kHz with a 3150kHhz speed tape . There is no info on the motor control board in SM's ,Pioneer tribal knowledge ?

The motor is not intended by Pioneer, or the motor manufacturer, as a user or field serviceable part. It was considered a field replaceable unit, meaning, replace the motor. Opening up the motor to repair it, or its internal control board, risks the loss of the motor entirely. Know that before going in. Parts do come up on the bay, if something in-correctable occurs.

The capstan motor is more complicated than the reel motor for later units, which I do recommend going into.

Good luck,
Rich P

The trim pot appears to work .In circuit test from 9K to zero ohms . I'm looking at the IC

speed adjust is working now ,maybe I was pushing to hard on the pot . The speed does repeatedly bump up to 3500Hz for a split second but is not audible . I might be chasing ghosts here.

Sounds like a swiming capstan belt. It needs to ride the center of the motor pulley. If it does not, it is too narrow, too thick, too loose or too tight. The capstan belts are pretty critical in these dual capstan machines. The originals were precision ground for their jobs.

Watch the belt and meter at the same time. If you see a speed anomaly, synchronous to the belt doing something funny, you have found your issue.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Have you used the PRB belt FRY 10.0 ? That's the cross for Pioneer REB230 or I could try Marrs Communications belts . There is some belt swimming on the motor pulley its not a lot but it seems to match the Freq. counter . Thanks

I have had decent response from the belt kit from Vintage Electronics out of Colorado. WJOE makes a belt kit that I have not tried for this deck. I have used WJOE's belts on the 900, 950, and 9191, and had decent results.

For the 1000, I bought OEM belts up while Pioneer was still selling them. I still have a few, enough for the 1000s I have in my inventory.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I have WJOE in the deck now . Its close but I want to see if I can get rid on the speed spike . I'm going to try the others . The PRB FRY 10.0 IC is 9.9" it seems small .

The Marrs belt was roughly a half inch smaller in diameter . Installed it and the speed is just about perfect and there is no belt wandering on the motor pullet either .

I have to ask this question again . How come after all the fixes for RW & FW one direction will work better than the other ? In my limited experience the decks play (FW ,RW) some tapes better than others.Some tapes appear to bind up or slow down the transport but will play OK in other decks.

There are idlers in there that may have dried and are slipping. Barring that, you have resistance in the supply or take-up reels. Lift the brakes manually, and feel for rotational resistance. If none, then you may have some binding elsewhere in the fast mode drive mechanism.

Enjoy,
Rich P

drags from tape movement sensors, mechanical tape counters and too-wide belts have all provably contributed to differential ff/rew recoveries after clutch repairs.

Thanks guys , I'm on it . It only seems to be FF on some tapes . I'm looking at the take up idler arm ? I'm recalling reading about where sometimes the cassette tape's reel sprockets don't mesh with the decks reel tables gears? (terminology ?) Why FF and not RW ?

Back
Top Bottom